Author
Topic: vibraphone mute/dampen single ringing note "x"

Rzolnows

Hello,
Is there a way to notate and possibly have playback of mallet dampening with x note heads?  (virtual drumline)

I guess the long way to "only" notate it would be to make an x note head without a stem and then set to not play that pitch back.  is there part of the template that would allow you to do this, and/or make your own?

I looked through the manual and key maps and did not find this as part of the templates.

I understand playback would be difficult to get working in Sibelius and would be stepping into midi sequencing program territory. 

let me know if anyone has a solution.
thanks
Rob

mac osx 10.10.5
sib7.5
vdl template 7.0a

Hugh Smith

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum!

Quote from: Rzolnows on December 17, 2015, 04:11:01 PM
Is there a way to notate and possibly have playback of mallet dampening with x note heads?  (virtual drumline)

Yes. However, based on the rest of your post, I'm not sure as to what it is exactly you're after. Please elaborate, and include screen shots.
Hugh Smith

Rzolnows

Hugh,
sorry for the extreme delay, I did not check the "notify me of replies" and never knew it was there.  I was waiting hopelessly for an email and thought that it was an un-noticed post.  Is there a way to make the 'notify" box checked by default in the forums?

now for my reply. 

What I am trying to do is be able to write a longer duration chord at the beginning of a measure, have an X on the staff to notate a particular note be muted while the rest still play past a new note.  I know this can be done with Ties, but the score gets very dense and hard to read. Working with different voices usually ends up with simultaneous notes not lining up vertically.  also when the muted note is in the middle of a chord, using differnet voices and note durations looks just as bad as a bunch of ties. 

I was just hoping to figure a solution that would possibly play back correctly and mute the intended note while still letting the others ring.

I have used the X notehead symbol in the meantime and works to get things looking ok, but it seems like another better solution is out there

I will try to take some pictures of vibraphone music I am trying to emulate the engraving of and post them soon

Thank you for your time
Rob.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Rzolnows on April 14, 2016, 08:02:12 PM
I was just hoping to figure a solution that would possibly play back correctly and mute the intended note while still letting the others ring.

I have used the X notehead symbol in the meantime and works to get things looking ok, but it seems like another better solution is out there

Some people have two staves for stuff like this, one for playback, the other for display (and hide the playback one for printing) - or two separate files. Or, perhaps use multiple voices on the one staff.

Either way, you'll need to uncheck the Play On Pass boxes in Inspector for the stuff you don't want to hear playback from.
Hugh Smith

Joe

I use two staves - one for playback and one for notation. I don't write a lot of mallet dampening, so I don't do it too often. This is a relatively simple process, though, because you can use ties and other ugly things to get the playback correct without too much trouble.