Author
Topic: SIB 8.1 Crashing

bobbyscottmusic

TWS edit: split post to new topic.

I preface this with I apologize if there is a negative tone in this post. I'm currently not able to use Sibelius and as you can probably understand, it's something that I need to complete projects that are due. Here's my issue. After fixing the problem I had before, I went to create a new file with the new playback configuration I had. VDL was showing up in the playback configuration, however when I were to add a VDL instrument, the correct playback instrument inside the mixer was not showing up. It would just show "General MIDI" or "Sibelius 7 Sounds". What I tried was to go to Playback Configuration>Manual Sound Sets> and set the Kontakt players to pull from Virtual Drumline 2.5. This actually worked and allowed me to now select from "Virtual Drumline" inside of the mixer so that my instruments would playback correctly. However 30 seconds after I did that, Sibelius crashed. I've tried reopening it, restarting my computer, opening new files/old files, and Sibelius just keeps crashing. I wish I could upload a screenshot of what everything looked like before, however I cannot even get into Sibelius to do that. I have raised a ticket at Avid and am awaiting their response.

Have you seen this happen, or have any insight on what may have happened, or maybe even what I could do?

Hugh Smith

Go into the Sib user's folder (/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius) and delete the "Playback Configurations" directory. Sibelius will generate a new one upon launch/restart. Create a new Configuration, see how it goes.

If that takes care of the crashing, rebuild the rest of your configurations.

I have one more idea if the above doesn't work, but try it first and let me know.
Hugh Smith

bobbyscottmusic

There is not data inside that "Sibelius" folder.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: bobbyscottmusic on January 28, 2016, 08:49:52 PM
There is not data inside that "Sibelius" folder.

Really? Nothing? Hmm... If you are indeed in the right folder, then I suggest you do a re-install of Sibelius.

Please double check the location/path of the Sibelius folder referenced above - i.e. "/Users/...". Show me a screen shot if you're not sure.
Hugh Smith

bobbyscottmusic

I found the correct folder...my bad...when I took that file and put it in the trash, I was able to open Sibelius successfully!!

Thanks so much for the help!

Bobby

Hugh Smith

Yeah, Sibelius' playback configurations can become corrupted (don't know how) and cause problems. Deleting that directory from the Sib User's folder usually does the trick.

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working now.

Hugh Smith

RLeGerrette

I think I am having the same issue. I'm very new to Mac and Sibelius. I pasted the .xml file in the sounds folder and I was able to set up a sound set and then Sib crashed. Does this seem like the same issue?

Thanks!
Richard

Hugh Smith

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum!

Yeah, trash all your Playback Configurations, do a restart (at least Sibelius), then (re)build new Configs.
Hugh Smith

RLeGerrette

Ok trashed everything in the playback config file. I restarted and created a new Vdl config and saved it. I closed that window and sibelius crashed.

Hugh Smith

Screenshots?

Are you running the latest versions of everything? Please list.
Hugh Smith

RLeGerrette

Sib Verison is 8.1.1

what else do you need to know?

Hugh Smith

Second image tells me the VDL sound set is not in the correct place. Be sure it's placed in (Installing A Sound Set):
/Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius/Sounds

What version of Kontakt Player are you using?

Did you trash all your Playback Configurations and restart Sibelius? And I mean ALL of them - remove the folder.

In your VDL config, be sure to use the AU version of Kontakt Player.

Hugh Smith

RLeGerrette

HA! It works!
Thanks for the help! I would have never figured it out!

Hugh Smith

Excellent!
Hugh Smith