Author
Topic: Sibelius 8

jasmith

Hello,

I just purchased Sibelius 8. Which template should I buy? The templates on the product page are all marked for Sibelius 7. I would like to run VDL with Sibelius 8. I often write for full marching band including woodwinds, brass and percussion. I am working on a Mac.

Hugh Smith

Hi jasmith, welcome to the forum.

Exactly which product page? The VDL Template page does have Sib 8 listed.

Since you're using Virtual Drumline (assuming v2.5.5), you'll at least need the VDL Template. To have template support for Sibelius 7 Sounds (Sib's included library), take a look at the S7S-VDL Bundle.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Hugh Smith

jasmith

Cool, I just bought the bundle and now have the three downloads. Not sure what to do from here.

Hugh Smith

1) If you're new to Sibelius, and probably VDL, be prepared to go through a learning curve.

2) Take at least one thorough pass through both the S7S and VDL Readme files, as well as Sib_Bundle_Addendum.pdf. You'll be referencing the Maps files as you write, but a full pass through each one of those won't hurt either.

3) Watch all the Sibelius Videos. (They're recorded with older versions of Sibelius, but still pertinent.)

4) If you haven't already, commence with installation/setup.

5) Play around with the TriggerTest/PlayTest files to help get a feel for things, as well as to check your writing environment setup.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to post in the appropriate section.

Happy writing!
Hugh Smith