Author
Topic: Timpani accents playing from different instrument.

Rzolnows

Hello,
Sibelius 7.5
VDL template 7.0a

all timpani notes that have an accent or "^" on them play from the sibelius sounds engine and not kontakt. 

I have watched this happen with the mixer open and opening the instance of kontakt that the timpani is loaded. It will show all plain notes register through kontakt, but if I click on an accented note, Sibelius will play a sound from some other timpani instrument and not register in kontakt.

The only way I have found to stop this from happening is to load a playback configuration that only contains kontakt/vdl and no sibelius sounds or midi instances.  When only VDL is running all sounds play appropriately through the VDL Timpani instruments. This does not work for most of my scores as they use non-percussion instruments.

It is very annoying to have the Sibelius sounds timpani kick in on accented with a very different tone and resonance to the notes. (some of the accents are particularly ugly compared to the VDL sounds.) 

Things I have tried.
-editing instrument in file I have changes the preferred sounds to vdl timpani med (or other mallets) from "unallocated"  this did not work even after reboot/load of sibelius. 
-I have looked in the playback dictionary  "accent" dialogue but didn't see anything that would change what sound is happening. (all other instruments play correctly as far as i can tell

did I miss an update or anything easy to fix?
Thanks
Rob

ps. I posted a few times and never received an email notification that someone had replied, I feel bad for not noticing them. is there a way to make the "notification of reply" checked by default? I honestly never noticed it before in the additional options.

Hugh Smith

Hi Rob

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.
Hugh Smith