Author
Topic: Kontakt Keyboard Malfunction

All_Stater_2016

Hello! I have finale with kontakt player. When I hook up things such as base drum and gong, it seems to be set up properly as Kontakt and the keyboard recognizes the notes being played on the staff in finale. (The keyboard keys press down on kontakt when a note is hit in the particular staff in finale) However, the keys are being pressed down in the wrong place on the keyboard in Kontakt and the blue keys which make the sounds aren't pushed (some of the surrounding white ones are instead). This is only a problem with some non pitched percussion instruments. Why does it do this and is it an easy fix?
Thanks!

TBoliske

I've not noticed this issue.

1) Are you hearing the correct sounds during playback?

2) Is it possible that you have transposition set to something other than the default, which for all of the VDL instruments should be None?
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

robertroberge

You can hit the blue keys in Kontakt and the gong sounds will play, but no sound is heard when you type a note in its staff on finale. The yellow notes that finale will make when a map isn't set up properly don't show either and kontakt recognizes when I type a note in it just doesn't hit the right keys. This was an issue with the base drum as well and it magically fixed itself. I'm not sure how though. I feel like it is something with the mapping still though.

TBoliske

Roberto,

I've checked the percussion midi maps in Finale against those provided in the VDL materials. The bass drum sounds should be mapped to the white keys (naturals) from B1 to D3 and the tam-tam sounds are the naturals from F3 to C4. Because Middle C may vary between manufacturers, know that it is easier to check against the midi numbers. The bass drums begin at midi note #47 and the tam-tams begin on midi note # 65.

Check these and let me know what you see. In my copies this all works fine. The correct keys in Kontakt play and the correct sounds playback in Finale.
Ted Boliske

robertroberge

Is there a way we could switch the midi map numbers for each sound?

TBoliske

Those numbers are set in the VDL library.
Ted Boliske