Author
Topic: Instruments not mapping correctly

rgrifa

Using Finale 2014.5 and 2014 Templates, El Capitan
Copied all of the Write Score files to the appropriate places.

For the Percussion Stave, I chose Concert Band Combo and selected the corresponding MIDI map. Whether I use a MIDI keyboard or Simple Entry, the notation is not being displayed on the staff properly . (I hear the sounds fine.)  See example of where Temple Blocks are being placed. The same is true for Drumset although I selected Drumset Basics for the map.

i did look through the forum but didn't see the issue. If the answer is here already, please point the way! Thanks for the help.

TBoliske

There are 2 parts to percussion mapping in Finale. The first is the Percussion MIDI Map. This is part of the XML files placed in your Finale MIDI Device Annotation folder. The second file is the Percussion Layout. This is part of the Percussion Library file. Both of these need to be set for the notation to look correct.

The Percussion MIDI Map is set in the upper box of the Score Manager. That column is on the far right side. If it's not visible, check the Customize View button and then check Perc MIDI Map. The Layouts are set using the Notation Style: Percussion, click settings, and then choose the correct layout.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

rgrifa

Thanks Ted. All good. I was not choosing the Layout style.

mikep

I'm having somewhat similar issues. Since upgrading to El Capitan, I had trouble getting sounds to play. I finally got that fixed, but the sounds that are playing back using last year's marching show are not the correct sounds for the notes. Regular snare hits are playing buzz rolls, all the tenor sounds are playing aux. instruments.

I checked to see that the midi map is in the correct folder (attached) and the score manager doesn't look correct. It's been since last fall that I worked with VDL, so I don't remember what to do to fix this.

mikep

I should add that I'd like to get these old files working correctly since I usually open an old file to start any new work, thus preserving shortcuts and other changes I've made. Thanks!

TBoliske

Mike,

Are you saying that the Score Manager DOES NOT look correct? If so, how does it not look correct?

If you are getting incorrect sounds then it is probable that the percussion midi maps are not assigned correctly?
Ted Boliske

mikep

Sorry - forgot to include my screenshots.

These are last year's files - so the the notes are displaying correctly but the playback is not using the correct sounds. It all worked previously to the El Capitan update. At least that's what I think caused this. I also assume it is a problem with the maps, I just don't remember how to fix it.

If open the original template I get the opposite results - correct sound playback and the wrong notes get entered.

TBoliske

If your version of Finale has not changed since updating the OS, then make certain that both the Percussion MIDI Map and Percussion Layouts match. The Percussion MIDI Map column may not be displayed in the Score Manager, click the Customize View button then check the box for Percussion MIDI Map.

Ted Boliske

mikep

The attached image in the last post shows the score manager. I'm not seeing any midi map info. I do have the column checked for percussion MIDI map, but it only shows a '1' in each column. You can't see that in the image I posted, but that's what I'm seeing.  I'm using the same version of Finale that I've had for a few years.

TBoliske

I am able to view the entire Score Manager window by scrolling across the image. The Percussion MIDI Map column is not visible, nor are the MIDI channels and banks. The Percussion MIDI Map column displays the XML file for each instrument. It should read as VDL SnareLine, etc., not a number. don't confuse the MIDI Map with the MIDI Channel assignment.
Ted Boliske

mikep

OK, here's a new image. All of the instruments are showing in italics

TBoliske

Check the location of the XML files. They should be in the following locations:

HD/Library/ApplicationSupport/MakeMusic/Finale2014.5/MIDI Device Annotation

AND

HD/Users/"your user folder"/Library/ApplicationSupport/MakeMusic/Finale2014.5/MIDI Device Annotation

It's important to know that the Library folder found inside of your User folder is not visible by default. A quick google search will explain how to make it visible and keep it visible.
Ted Boliske

mikep

Both had the same files - see attached.

TBoliske

The XML files are not in the folder. The files displayed are the defaults that are installed with Finale 2015.5 You will need to copy the XML files from either the TWS template package or from the Finale 2014 folder for MIDI Device Annotation. The issue probably is in the fact that Finale 2014.5 was not an update to an existing version but installed as a new version.
Ted Boliske

mikep

That was it. All the files were in the 2014 folders. Thanks!