Author
Topic: Siblelius 7.1.3 - Some questions about suspended cymbals

Db354

I've looked around at a lot of posts regarding mallet percussion players switching to and from suspended cymbals, but I haven't seen these particular questions answered.

My first issue is with mid-measure instrument changes. When using an Instrument Change to switch between, for example, Marimba Syn Hard and SusCym All within one measure (a marimba note on beat 1, Instrument Change and new clef around beat 2, and a cymbal roll on beats 3-4), the clef change doesn't take effect until the following measure. So when I enter an F#4, I get a regular old F#4 on the treble staff with a normal notehead instead of the notation for a "Short Cresc" cymbal roll. There is no playback for that note either, telling me the Instrument Change itself has probably taken effect but the clef issue has thrown off the mapping. Am I missing something?

My other issue is a lot simpler - how exactly are release notes of cymbal rolls supposed to be notated to avoid triggering any kind of extra crash or another roll? Every time I tie a cymbal roll to some kind of release note, that release note still plays back. So (from above) an F#4 tied to an F#4 plays back two "Short Cresc" rolls. I understand I can use "Play On Pass" to mute the second one, but that seems awfully clunky. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hugh Smith

Mid-measure instrument changes: I think I'll have to hit Joe up for a better answer on this.

Cymbal roll releases: clunky or not, Play On Pass is the way to do it.
Hugh Smith

Joe

The way the instrument change is described is the way I do things in Sibelius... and it works.

Db354, post a screenshot with hidden objects turned on so we can see this example measure.

Bill

Here's what works for me.

When you do an instrument change, you have the option to not include the instrument change message, ie "to SusCym" and you also have the option to not change the clef.  The suspended cymbal will play back regardless of the clef.

I prefer to not have keyboard players changing clefs any more than necessary so I'll use what ever clef it's already on, bass or treble.

As far as the release goes, when you enter the release, click on the inspector, select the release note itself, and uncheck the "Play on Pass" box 1.  When it gets there, the note is there, but it doesn't trigger another roll.

Db354

Thanks for the insight, everyone. Here's a screenshot of what I'm running into. You can see that the instrument change and clef change are both shown (though I know I shouldn't need the clef), but when I enter a C#5 on my midi controller, I still get a regular old treble-staff C# instead of a "Sustained" cymbal roll. Oddly enough, Sibelius still plays the correct sound as I enter the note but doesn't play the note at all during actual playback.

Hugh Smith

The screen shot helps. Bump the vertical gray rectangle of the instrument change to the left a couple of pixels.

Quote from: Db354 on June 22, 2016, 02:35:41 PM
Oddly enough, Sibelius still plays the correct sound as I enter the note but doesn't play the note at all during actual playback.

This is normal Sibelius behavior. During input, Sib goes off of the Input Pitch defined in the mapping. During playback, Sib goes off of what is in the score. Sometimes these don't exactly line up (corrupted mappings, Sib being picky on where the above mentioned rectangle is positioned).
Hugh Smith