Author
Topic: Sounds working Notation in the wrong space

mrochy

I copied all of the files like the directions said and set the percussion layout to SnareManual, TenorManual, BassManual and this is what I'm getting.  Everything sounds correct but the notes are in the wrong place.  Help?

TBoliske

You also need to set the Percussion MIDI Maps. That column is found in the Score Manager. Click Customize View in Score Manager, check the Percussion MIDI Map column, and then select the map which matches the instrument layout.

The Percussion MIDI Maps are the XML files which are copied to the MIDI Device Annotation folder.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mrochy

I set all of the percussion Midi Maps to the correlating instrument in Score Manager.  Could there be more than one type in score manager?

Also, I copied all of the XML files to the MIDI Device Annotation Folder.

Anything else it could be?

TBoliske

The Percussion MIDI maps are used to communicate between VDL/Kontakt and Finale. It sounds as if you have not set the correct Percussion Layout for each staff. They are 2 separate files.
Ted Boliske

mrochy

Here are screenshots showing where I put the XML Files and Library.  Also, showing the score manager setting to VDL.  I'm lost on this one...

TBoliske

The screen shots help.

The only thing that appears out of the ordinary is the bank assignment for Kontakt. It is set to bank 2. Unless you have additional instruments not seen in the score screen shots, it should be set to bank 1. Since you say the sound works, then this isn't a real issue.

In previous versions of Finale with the Score Manager, it was important to set the percussion midi map prior to selecting the percussion layout. Since the two files work together it's important that those connections where actually working. What does look out of place is the screen shot of your score. It displays a 'Custom #' note being entered. This generally indicates that the wrong or no percussion layout was selected.

Try starting a new score using the Battery template. Make sure that the Kontakt device is set to Bank 1, load your instruments, then select your VDL percussion midi map followed by the matching percussion layout. Set a midi map and layout for a staff, then check the layout by clicking Edit for the selected layout. You should see VDL sound names rather than 'Custom #' if things are correct.

Ted Boliske