Author
Topic: Problem with quick instrument changes to muted cymbal rolls

Joe

Hello,

I constantly write for mallet instruments with mid-score instrument changes to suspended cymbal instruments. Sometimes there will even be two changes per measure: one from mallet instrument to cymbal, and then another back to the mallet instrument.

This has always worked fine, but I have a score I'm working on where I'm experiencing problems with muted roll releases only. I can add the text "~mute" to a cymbal roll and Sibelius will play it back just fine if the instrument change to cymbal is a few beats prior to the onset of the roll. However, if the instrument change is immediately prior to the onset of the roll, the "~mute" text is not having the intended affect, and Sibelius is playing back a cymbal roll with an open release. Obviously I can't fix this problem by moving the instrument change any farther to the left, because this would cause the last mallet pitch to not play back.

So far I've been working around this issue by adding separate cymbal staves for playback only, just to get the muted releases sounding right, and then unchecking the Play on Pass for the cymbal notation on the mallet staff. I'm happy to do things like this where it is necessary, but it shouldn't be necessary in this case. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

I played around with a clean template copy and I'm experiencing the problem in that case as well. If I have marimba pitches in a bar and then switch to a suspended cymbal roll with "~mute" text, the roll release is not muted unless I move the instrument change box just to the left of the last marimba note (in which case that marimba note does not play back).

I am currently using Sibelius 6 on Windows 10, with a Sibelius 6 version of the 7.0a VDL Template.

Hugh Smith

Hi Joe

I'm not sure if there's anything I can do in the Template/sound set, but I can take a look. Please send me an example file. (Sent you a PM.)
Hugh Smith