Author
Topic: Switching Instruments - Need a refresher

mikep

I haven't used VDL since last fall and can't remember how to change instruments on a staff. For example, in the attached image, I have a marimba which is playing back the chimes sound. This is an old file that opened up, deleted everything (or so I thought) and then began working in for this year's show.

I know I had the chimes set to play on the marimba staff in the old file. I don't see anything there anymore indicating to change the sound. When I enter the notes, the marimba sound plays. But it switches to chimes when I hit the play button. Regardless, I can't remember how to handle instrument changes to get it back to marimba. Can someone assist me?

I know I used to always just change the channel to get to a new sound, but it doesn't work that way anymore, does it?

I'm using Finale 2014.5 with VDL 2.5. Thanks!

mikep

I also should mention that I'm getting sluggish performance when using this file or any of my previous files that were based off the templates. When I open a new default file, Finale runs as expected.

For example, when putting in a note using simple entry, there'a about a one second delay to when it shows up on screen and subsequent notes show up almost as slowly. Other actions are similarly slow. Not sure if this is related to the templates, but it doesn't occur on a new default file.

TBoliske

For the instrument change, check to see if there are start and end measures for the chimes. If they are still in the file you will need to delete them. You may even need to delete the chimes from the score. Leave it in your Kontakt set up, just don't display it in the Score Manager. It's my guess that because you are using an older file rather than a new clean version that there are some ghosts hiding around.

This may also be causing the sluggish behavior that you are seeing. My advice would be to take a clean, fresh copy of a template file and customize it for that specific ensemble. Then save it to the templates folder. You could name it HS_Name_template. When you open a new score for this group just save as for that particular show or piece. You'll still have the blank file created for that group without the baggage of older scores. Plus, you won't need to create a new file every year for that particular group from the TWS templates as they remain clean and ready for a new group.

The other option when working with the TWS templates is to use the Default VDL template. This file only has a single staff and can be set up with out the hassle of deleting staves and adjusting the instruments for playback that might arise from working with the Battery Onle or Ensemble templates.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mikep

I'll probably follow your suggestion for my next piece and customize a separate copy of the template.

as for changing instruments, I can't remember how to see if there is a start or end to the chime assignment. I clicked on the expression tool but that didn't reveal anything hiding. All I can remember, from the way I used to do it, was doing a channel change with the expression tool to the instrument I want and also doing a staff change. What's the better current method with this template? I typically don't need to change instruments within the measure, if that helps. With my group being smaller, one kid might play chimes, bells, and aux. all in the same piece.

TBoliske

Use the Change Instrument Utility. Select the measure(s) for the new instrument, select Change Instrument Utility from the Utilities Menu (it's at the bottom of the menu) and work through the dbx. It automatically creates the instrument in the Score Manager, indicates the start/stop measures, and it will assign a playback device and instrument. The playback items may be changed to the device, bank and midi channel that you set up in Kontakt. If you didn't set them up in advance then set them up and load the VDL instrument at this point. The utility will also make sure that the previous instrument is set to playback after the end measure.

There is nothing wrong with using the expressions included in the templates for playback. They do require that you edit the expression in the same manner you did with the Change Instrument Utility. I would suggest using the expression in the score without any playback parameters. They'll be in the score for the staff to see in and in the parts for the performers to read in rehearsals.
Ted Boliske

mikep

Thanks for the info Ted. Is the utility new in 2014.5? I've never used it before but I'll give it a try.

TBoliske

It was new in Finale 2014 if I recall correctly. I think it was the same year they introduced the Score Manager. As I said, you could continue to use text expressions for the changes. At the very least use the expressions without playback assignments. You need to tell the performers when to switch and which instrument to move to anyway.
Ted Boliske

mikep

OK, one more question. I went to add a xylo part to the score I'm working in, which I did successfully through the score manager. Then I went into the player to add a xylo to a channel but I can't get the full list of instruments to appear like they used to. I'm talking about in the left hand side of the window where it VDL shows up. All I can get is glocks like in the picture. How do I get to the full list view of all the instruments?

TBoliske

Click the up arrow next to Glock & Crotales. That arrow allows you to work back through the folders.
Ted Boliske

mikep

Thanks again - I was click the other buttons with arrows.

mikep

I tried the change instrument utility. Wanted to go from Rack B to Rack A to get to the temple blocks. So, went in the utility and choose 'temple blocks'. It assigned it temple blocks and used a singular, stock woodblock sound to playback. I couldn't figure out how to alter any settings to get it to do what I wanted. In my third bank, I have the two rack instruments loaded.

What's the procedure for doing this correctly? I'm pretty sure I failed. Also, is this info covered anywhere? I hate to keep asking what seems like such basic questions.

TBoliske

It's in the Read Me file, pages 15-17. The important points are to set up your VDL instrument in Kontakt first, then in the Score Manager change the Device to Kontakt, match the Bank and Channel settings, assign the Percussion MIDI Map and finally the Percussion Layout.
Ted Boliske