Author
Topic: Smartmusic Soft Synth issues in Template

BenCowan

Greetings. I am working of a VDL template for 2014 for a marching band piece, and I prefer to use the softsynth sounds over the Garritan samples that come with Finale. Unfortunately, whenever I plug in the wind samples for softsynth into their respective staves, all I'm getting back is Piano, even though the score manager lists that they're the correct sample correlating with the instrument. Don't know if anyone else has had this issue or not, didn't see anything on the forum or on Tapspace about it. I can still create a wind parts file and just sync the audio in audacity, but if possible I'd like to resolve this so I can do it all in one file. Thanks!

TBoliske

Ben,

I'd have to play with it a bit to verify. My first reaction is that because the softsynth sounds are done through midi rather than AU/VST this is the cause of the problem. At one time, this is what I would need to verify, you couldn't use midi and AU/VST at the same time.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

BenCowan

Ted-

Thanks for the reply. The general finale samples I actually loaded through "Play through VST" and just chose Smartmusic SoftSynth as the Device. Manages to work on a regular finale created file in conjunction with Kontakt, but not a template file.

TBoliske

Which version of Finale, OS, and Kontakt are you using in this set up? That might help towards finding a solution. Could you include a screen shot of the Score Manager window.
Ted Boliske

BenCowan

Finale 2014.5, Kontakt Player 5, all on a PC with Windows 7

It just so happens I tried restarting my comp and loading the file again, but before loading any garritan samples I switched over to Smartmusic Softsynth on the device and it seems to work now...weird. Here's a screenshot anyway. Thanks for your help Ted.

TBoliske

Good to hear.
Ted Boliske