Author
Topic: Assigning a different VDL 2.5 instrument to certain note on staff

mprzmusic

Hello, this is my first time on the forum!

Problem:
When writing marching bass drum music, I would like the Bass 6 sound to play on the A natural (or F) instead of the Bass 5 sound.

Why:
I usually only write music for 5 bass drummers and I really like using Bass 6 as my "bass 5" only because it sounds so much better. It's an unwritten rule in Battery writing that the Bass 5 is on the A natural (or F) and all of my clients' students read it this way. I'm also just tired of always remembering to skip the A natural for the audio to sound more realistic, then having to go back through the score and format it the way students are use to reading. I have attached an image to show me skipping the A natural to hear the Bass 6.

Is this possible to do? I've tried searching on the forum for a similar question, but I don't quite know what to call this issue!

I'm using Sibelius 7
Latest VDL 2.5
The latest WriteScore template for VDL
Latest iMac computer

-MP

Edit: Better quality photo attachment.

Hugh Smith

Hi MP, welcome to the forum!

Yes, that is possible. But like you found out, there isn't anything in the forum here explaining how to "tweak/edit unpitched drum mapping".

I'll be away from my main computer until about Tuesday of next week, at which time I'll be able to give you a more complete answer.
Hugh Smith

mprzmusic

Quote from: Hugh Smith on January 11, 2017, 11:31:41 PM
I'll be away from my main computer until about Tuesday of next week, at which time I'll be able to give you a more complete answer.

Hugh, thanks for the reply! A complete answer would also be outstanding and great information to have on the forum!

Cheers and see you next week!

Hugh Smith

I haven't forgotten about this. Just really busy playing catch-up. Hopefully in the next couple days.
Hugh Smith

mprzmusic

Hi, will we get an answer for this soon? Thank you.

Hugh Smith

Sorry for the delay on this. I'll be getting to it as soon as I can.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

I sent you a PM that has a link to the video I made.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Quote from: mprzmusic
Hugh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this video! This is really gold for me and I don't know why I didn't pursue this answer a long time ago! You have made my job so much easier!

Cheers

You're welcome.
Hugh Smith