Author
Topic: Incorrect sounds playing back

Adam

Hello there! This is an odd one... Certain staves in my score are having trouble dealing with instrument changes, but only with certain instruments... For example: when I have vibe 1, 2, 3, and 4 do an instrument change to suspended cymbals, vibes still play back on vibes 1, 2 and 3. Vibe 4 switches no problem... And now I tried to switch all vibes from the MEDIUM library to SOFT, and Vibes 1 and 2 are playing crash cymbals (They have crash cymbals earlier in the piece). 3 and 4 switched to soft no problem. When I open kontakt, it shows that the midi data is being sent to the wrong instrument, no matter what I have selected in the mixer (usually auto, but since having the issue, I tried forcing it to the instrument I currently want as well).

Here's what I've tried (for the crash cymbal issue):

In the mixer, I made sure AUTO was selected. Nope.
I tried forcing it to the vibe SOFT. Same thing happened.
I tried deleting the crash cymbal patch that was being activated in kontakt and then I would have no playback. It really thinks my Vibe Soft instrument change command means crash cymbals.. but only on those particular staves (Vibe 1 and 2)... the others work fine.
I tried adding more instances of kontakt.
This is all I could think of to try. Please help!

My soundset selections are all set to VDL template 7.0a as they should be.

I'm using
Kontakt 5
VDL 2.5.5
Template 7.0a
Mac OSX 10.10.5
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Thank you for your help!

Hugh Smith

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum!

If you think you in fact do have enough instances of Kontakt/VDL in your Playback Configuration, try switching to a different config, hit Play and let everything/whatever load, then switch back to the original config, hit Play and see what happens. Another option is to build out a new configuration.

Let me know how those two things go, I may have you send me the file.
Hugh Smith

Adam

Hi Hugh. Sorry for the late reply, I never got a notification about your response so I had no idea you responded!

Ok. I'll try those two things and report back. Thank you for responding.

Adam

Ok, I tried both suggestions and neither resulted in a different outcome.

Hugh Smith

Sent you a PM.
Hugh Smith

choltzem

I have been having this same issue.

Same specs and everything, except for I'm having issues with different sounds in the combo instruments.

For example, no matter which I choose, I can't get a triangle sound instead of a brake drum or propane tank. Most cymbal sounds other than a crash and a china don't come through and just play as a crash. Most of the time when looking at the sound maps the majority of the noteheads come through properly, but there are always a few instruments that just don't appear to exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hugh Smith

If you do in fact have enough instances of KP, then it's starting to sound like you have some mappings that have become corrupted.

Do the TriggerTest files play back as expected?
Hugh Smith

choltzem

No, when I play through the combo triggers, there are several sounds that are incorrect.

I'm not sure how to check my instances in kontakt or how many I should have. That COULD be the problem but I'm not sure how to check.

Hugh Smith

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.
Hugh Smith

choltzem

Absolutely. It is attached below!

Hugh Smith

ALL instances of Kontakt Player utilizing VDL need to have the same sound set assigned: VDL SoundSet 7.0a.

Giving custom names to those instances is unnecessary - Sibelius will load patches where ever. And be sure to have everything set to (Auto) in the Mixer.

Let me know how you get on.
Hugh Smith

choltzem

How many instances would you recommend?

I only have the other ones from my set up BEFORE having the template and I kept them just in case. Also, my synths will go through mainstage which is why they are set up the way that they are. Should I also set them up the same way?

choltzem

That is definitely seeming to have done this trick.

I would still like to know as a general rule how many instances we need for however many tracks, but I'm getting the sounds that I need.

Hugh Smith

A VDL slot needs to be available for each stave, plus whatever Instrument Changes you have on each staff. There is no "general rule" as it depends on the density of the score. Some run into computer resource limitations when the score gets really big. (Sibelius will sometimes tell you if there are not enough instances. But, not always.)

You can also open up each instance to see what is actually being loaded - to see which instances are full or empty, or partially filled with patches. If they're all full, that's a good indicator another may be needed.

You should be able to set your synths up the same as you did before.

Glad to hear you're doing better now.
Hugh Smith

choltzem

Thank you so much for getting me back up and running!