Author
Topic: Integrating VDL

shanenic

Hello all,

I'm writing the book for my drumline.  The score was written using Finale, but I use Sibelius.  I got the XML files, but am having issues figuring out how to access VDL sounds into the score.  I've read that there is supposed to be a how to in the read me guide for the template, but I don't see it.  Can anyone give me options on how to do this?

I'm running newest operating system on Mac with the newest Sibelius.

Thanks.

Hugh Smith

Hi Shane

I'm afraid there's no simple way to get your Finale exported MusicXML to load VDL in Sibelius. Not sure where you saw there was a how-to for it, but I don't know of one. Anyway, the problem with trying to use imported MusicXML files in Sibelius is that you'd have to go in and manually tell Sibelius exactly what each sound should be, essentially building out those instrument definitions from scratch.

Your best bet is to start from a clean copy of the Template and input everything as if writing a new score (do not copy/paste anything from the other score as this will likely bring in unwanted/hidden elements). You may not have wanted to hear that, but it will be the quickest way.

And what exactly are the "newest" version numbers you're referring to?
Hugh Smith

shanenic

Quote from: Hugh Smith on June 14, 2017, 08:30:52 AM
Hi Shane

I'm afraid there's no simple way to get your Finale exported MusicXML to load VDL in Sibelius. Not sure where you saw there was a how-to for it, but I don't know of one. Anyway, the problem with trying to use imported MusicXML files in Sibelius is that you'd have to go in and manually tell Sibelius exactly what each sound should be, essentially building out those instrument definitions from scratch.

Your best bet is to start from a clean copy of the Template and input everything as if writing a new score (do not copy/paste anything from the other score as this will likely bring in unwanted/hidden elements). You may not have wanted to hear that, but it will be the quickest way.

And what exactly are the "newest" version numbers you're referring to?

I'm using Sibelius 8.0.1 running the OS X 10.9.5

I really don't want to manually input everything.  If I were to buy Finale, would that make it easier to get VDL integrated?  Could I then at least just copy and paste the score into the template, if not just integrate the template into the MUS file?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: shanenic on June 19, 2017, 06:55:40 AM
... If I were to buy Finale, would that make it easier to get VDL integrated?

Best case for file sharing/collaboration is to be using the same software (and versions).

Quote from: shanenic on June 19, 2017, 06:55:40 AM
Could I then at least just copy and paste the score into the template, if not just integrate the template into the MUS file?

I'm not sure the exact workflow you're after with that question. You talking about staying in the same software as I mentioned above?
Hugh Smith

TBoliske

Shane,

To accomplish what you want can be done if you purchase Finale. However, just buying Finale isn't enough. You'll also need to get the Finale template package. Even then you'll need to copy and paste the wind score into a Finale/VDL template. An alternative to the copy/paste method would be to have the wind arranger purchase a Finale template package, then use a template file to create a score file the both of you may use.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths