Author
Topic: Tenor Puff Issues

megibson

I have changed from mallets to puffs and it works on playback.

I then changed from puffs to mallets but every time I play it back the playback keeps it on puffs. 
I have used the text expression (and made sure I was selecting tenor and not bass) to go from puffs to mallets.
I have made sure to key switch on my nanoKEY2 to mallets.  It sounds like mallets when I enter it into the score but it still plays back as puffs.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Thanks!
Macbook Air (2017)
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Korg nanoKEY2
Sibelius 2018.5 Build 1755
Kontakt 5
VDL 2.5.5
(Merged Template)- TWS Sibelius VDL Template 7.0a(Sib7)/Sibelius Bundle 7.1a(Sib7)

TBoliske

I wouldn't use the keyswitch on the midi keyboard. Because playback is your priority, don't worry about the sound that is heard when entering notes.

The other place to consider is if the text expression to switch is place properly in the score. That should be prior to the switch but not until the previous music has ended.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

megibson

So after the last note of the phrase where mallets are used, I would put the text expression "to puffys"?
Then I write the next phrase and on playback there should be puffy sounds?

To change back to mallets I would need to do the same thing except notate after the last note of the puffys section "back to mallets"?
Macbook Air (2017)
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Korg nanoKEY2
Kontakt 5
VDL 2.5.5
(Merged Template)- TWS Sibelius VDL Template 7.0a(Sib7)/Sibelius Bundle 7.1a(Sib7)

TBoliske

That's correct. You may also want to add the expression "to mallets" at the beginning of the score. This should help both the players and the playback engine to know which sound/implement is being utilized.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

megibson

Thanks for the help.  To correct the issue (it was probably me) I opened another template and copied the tenor part section by section and added the text expressions before and after each.  It fixed.  Then I copied it back to the original score and it all works fine now.

Thanks again for your help.  I'll stop using key switches now.  It seems to make things more complicated than necessary.
Macbook Air (2017)
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Korg nanoKEY2
Kontakt 5
VDL 2.5.5