Author
Topic: Might Not Be The Software But

drumzx

So I didn't know how title this but my issue is this, I'm working on an HP Envy laptop with 16 GB of memory, 64 bit Operating system, x64 based processor.  And it's barely been used.  I bought it to work in Sibelius using the template.  All seems to be fine expect for one small thing.  When I do playback using ear buds, I can hear every instrument EXCEPT the VDL battery parts.  They play only through the laptops speaker system. 

What could I be missing?

Thanks,
Steve

Windows 10
Processor:  Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz (and no, I have no idea what that all means)
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System Type: 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve

Hmm... that's a new one.

My first thought is that there's some weird setting in Kontakt Player. Second is it's in Sibelius. Either way, I can't think of anything right now that would be helpful.

Do you get sound in the earbuds with all VDL sounds in stand alone mode?

(My most recent version of a Windows machine has Windows 7 on it. I don't fire it up very often anymore since I've been using a Mac Mini for a while now.)
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Hugh, yeah, when I was typing up the synopsis, I was thinking much the same.  It doesn't make sense to me that I can hear all of the other voices although here's a hint, I have the other voices set up to use the Microsoft GS Wave Table Synth in the mixer for playback because the Sibelius Player does nothing.  When I click on the "test sound" button in the mixer for the individual voices, I get playback with that setting AND with the VDL battery parts (via Kontakt Player).  Don't know if that helps at all.

One more thing, I just tried the keyboard parts as well, Kontakt Player too and again, not coming through the ear buds.  Interesting.

VDL Standalone?  I'm not sure how to check that but if you give me a hint, I'll certainly try it.

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Quote from: drumzx on July 20, 2017, 03:49:44 PM
VDL Standalone?  I'm not sure how to check that but if you give me a hint, I'll certainly try it.

Open Kontakt Player by itself (outside of Sibelius), load various VDL patches, click around on the blue keys. What do you hear, earbuds and speakers?

Quote from: drumzx on July 20, 2017, 03:49:44 PM
... because the Sibelius Player does nothing.

Hmm... maybe a setting is a little "off" in Sibelius, or perhaps the installation didn't quite go as it should have.

Is this a new computer and/or otherwise a new install of VDL and Sibelius?
Hugh Smith

drumzx

It is a new computer.  I've had it for a bit, a couple of months, but now that we're entering the band season, it's the first time I've used it for writing.

Opened Kontakt Player. ..you're beyond my knowledge set.  But I see the VirtualDrumline "library".  Under "Instruments" I clicked and loaded each of the battery instruments.  It populates the window to the right under Multi Rack and where it loads each of the instruments.  But I see no blue buttons.
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

TBoliske

When you're looking at the Kontakt window, do you see a 'virtual' keyboard? It should look like a piano, white and black keys and be located at the bottom of the window. Those keys that have a VDL sound mapped to them will appear as blue keys. When you click on them you should hear a sound for that instrument. You only really need to load a single instrument.

If you don't see those piano keys, there is a control/setting at the top of the Kontakt window that will make them visible. I don't have Kontakt open at the moment so I can't tell you exactly what to be looking for with regards to the control icon.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

drumzx

Ah, the control/setting was the ticket.

I hear the sounds through the speakers, not through the ear buds
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Do you hear other sounds through the earbuds? i.e. other system sounds, audio files, YouTube videos, etc.
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Yeah Hugh, I hear everything through the earbuds except for those parts playing through Kontakt.  Everything else (just checked a YouTube video of Crown) I can hear through the buds.
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hmm... I'm still leaning towards a Kontakt Player setting being wonky. If you can't find a setting to change in Kontakt Player that fixes it, then you may want to do a re-install.
Hugh Smith