Author
Topic: How to get S7S and VDL templates loaded into Sibelius 7

bandman0

Last month I purchased both the S7S and the VDL templates for Sibelius 7.  I also have the Kontakt 5 Player.  I can not figure out how to get the template files into Sibelius or the Kontakt Player so that I can use them.  I've read through the ReadMe files, but I guess I'm missing something because I keep hitting a wall with getting all of this loaded so I can use it. I'm looking for easy to use step by step instructions.  I think this is the only way I'm going to be able to get through all of this since I'm not really strong with technology.  Thanks

Hugh Smith

Hi bandman0, welcome to the forum!

The step-by-step instructions for setting up the Templates are in their respective Readme files (which are mostly identical). Those instructions assume you have Sibelius, Sibelius 7 Sounds, and VDL installed correctly.

However, you obviously have run into a problem - time to troubleshoot:

1) What version of Sibelius 7 are you using?
2) Can I assume you have VDL 2.5.5 installed (as opposed to v2.5.2 or earlier)?
3) Can you load VDL patches into Kontakt Player (stand alone mode) and get sounds when you click on the blue keys?
4) Did you get the entire Sibelius 7 Sounds library installed?
5) Attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.
6) What steps have you tried and at which step is it failing/not working?

That'll get us started.
Hugh Smith

bandman0

I managed to get the files in but is there now a way to get everything to playback through the Kontakt Player 5?  I want to play an entire score back with wind and percussion files.  I have Windows 10, Sibelius 7.1.3 , VDL 2.5.5. When I try to set up playback for the full score, it only lets me use Sibelius Player. The Kontakt player will only let me use the VDL setup. Not sure if I'm being clear. Right now, bass drums, tenor drum and agogo bells are not heard in the playback

I'm not sure if the attached image is what you wanted in the playback setup screenshot setup.

Hugh Smith

If I remember right, the Kontakt Player install has 3 VST .dll files, but you only need (should) have one of these in the Avid VST folder. Only having one plugin file in the Avid VST folder will help to choose the correct one in the Playback Configuration. (Not sure if this is part of the problem, but it could help either way.)

The three files are (on my Windows 7 machine):

Kontakt 5 8out.dll   - 554 KB
Kontakt 5 16out.dll - 554 KB
Kontakt 5.dll           - 38.2 MB  <- this is the only one you need

1) check
2) check
3) Are you able to play VDL sounds when you load patches into Kontakt Player when in stand alone mode?
4) Are you sure the entire S7S library is installed?
5) check
6) What steps have you tried and at which step is it failing/not working?

And...
7) What instruments do you have in the score? Are they in fact from the VDL Template? Are you selecting them from the "- VDL Template 7.0a" Ensemble from the Instruments > Add dialog? Refer to page 9 of the Readme for what you should see (will be similar for the S7S Template, "- S7S Template 7.1a").

Hugh Smith