Author
Topic: Custom Percussion Maps

Houston Youngman

Hello,

Is there a way to create a custom percussion map using the VDL sounds? I have edited the staff type, mapped all of the noteheads and assigned sounds from the VDL template, but whenever I go to playback only one instrument's sounds play at a time. If I go to the mixer and reassign to a different instrument, THOSE sounds will play as mapped. Unfortunately I can't figure out if there is a way to get all of them to play at the same time.

I know this is probably explained poorly. I've attached a picture of my playback configuration, as well as a shot of the mixer where I can pick and choose the sounds to be played.

Thanks for any help!
I am running macOS Sierra on a 2016 MacBook Pro with Sibelius 8.5 and Virtual Drumline 2.5.5

Houston Youngman

Hugh Smith

You can modify the mapping of an existing Template-defined instrument (duplicate it first) to change how notes display on the staff.

However, Sibelius does not allow for mixing of sounds from different/multiple patches into the same instrument definition - it will only load one patch from the VDL library.

Otherwise, I'm assuming you're wanting to do this instead of being forced to use Instrument Changes?

As far as the Mixer, when using the Template, it's always best to leave everything set to (Auto) (well, with the occasional exception).
Hugh Smith

Houston Youngman

Hi Hugh,

Yes, I was trying to map sounds to a custom notehead map without the need of instrument changes. The multi-percussion composition I'm writing would just be a lot simpler if I could've done it without having to do instrument changes multiple times a measure.

It stinks that isn't an option, but thank you for your reply and for your time!
I am running macOS Sierra on a 2016 MacBook Pro with Sibelius 8.5 and Virtual Drumline 2.5.5

Houston Youngman

Hugh Smith

Yeah, I know, it does kinda suck.

Another option would be to have hidden playback staves and map everything to the main staff. Then on the main staff, you would uncheck the play on pass boxes for the items that playback on the hidden staves.

Not sure which would be the simpler of the two methods. Depends more on you I suppose.
Hugh Smith

Houston Youngman

That could work. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Houston Youngman