Author
Topic: Cross beaming notes on Marimba?

Dave Ratliff

I tried to search the previous posts for anything on this but didn't see any posts on this topic.

My specs are
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Write Score Template 7.0
MacBook Pro - OS 10.12.6

I am wanting to write a marimba part incorporating "cross beamed" notes between the treble and bass clefs. When I add a marimba part to a new score NOT using the 7.0 Template, it gives me an option for using a "grand staff". When I add a marimba part from within the Template, it only adds a treble clef marimba part. I have added a second marimba staff & changed the clef to bass clef and bracketed the two staves together to create the grand staff in my template score.

When using the template, I entered the notes I wanted to have "cross-beamed" and clicked on the "Cross Staff Notes" button to have the notes in the treble clef drop to the bass clef, nothing happens. I tried entering the notes in the bass clef and clicking on the button to have the notes move to the treble clef, again nothing happens. When I copy and paste the passage onto a score NOT using the Template the notes seem to be automatically "cross beamed/staffed".

My question are:
1) Is there a way to just select a grand staff for marimba use within the "add instrument" dialog box from within the Template rather than just the single (treble clef) marimba staff?
2) If there is not a way to select a marimba grand staff, is there a specific method to create a grand staff that would allow for the cross staff notation to work?
3) Am I doing something wrong to create the cross beamed passage? I am entering all the notes in on 1 staff (I tried either treble or bass equally without success), selecting the notes I want to move to the other staff & clicking on the "cross staff notes" button on the note input tab.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  I love your product and your support!

David Ratliff

Hugh Smith

Hi Dave

I'll have to look into it. Can't recall offhand.
Hugh Smith

Dave Ratliff

Thanks Hugh!!

Hugh Smith

You were going in the right direction in wanting a grand staff instrument. Here's how to make one.

0. Optional: Experiment in a test file.

1. Go to Home > Instruments > Edit Instruments > - VDL Template 7.0a > Marimbas. Choose a marimba and select it. Make a copy of it by clicking New Instrument, then Yes.

2. Change Name in dialogs to whatever you'd like. (Could append with "~GRAND", or whatever.) Click OK.

3. Add the new instrument to the Marimbas Family list by looking in Instruments not in ensemble and scrolling to the one you just made. Select it, click Add to Family.

4. With the new instrument now in the Family, select it, and click Edit Instrument.

5. Under Notation Options > Type of staff > Number of staves, select 2. The Clef for second staff should default to Bass. Click OK.

6. Close the Edit Instruments dialog.

7. Add new grand staff marimba to score.

I also quickly looked to see what else was out there and found Cross-Staff Notes function is not working and Sibelius 8: Tutorial No. 20: Cross-Staff Notes. Feel free to Ggl for more.

Let me know how it goes.
Hugh Smith

Dave Ratliff

Hugh,

Thanks so much for all your help.  This worked perfectly!!

Dave

Hugh Smith

Excellent!
Hugh Smith