Author
Topic: Unusual page layout in the Sibelius template

drumm77

Hello!  I'm having an issue with the Sibelius S7S/VDL template.  When I open the template, the page layout is always "squished" and I can't seem to make it appear as a normal page.  The page layout won't adjust by using the page setup settings in Sibelius, and adding instruments causes text to float off the side of the page.  Screenshot below.  Pardon me if this is a dumb question, I couldn't find anything about this on the forums or in the readme.  How can I get my page to appear normal-sized regardless of the number of instruments?

https://i.imgur.com/p7horF8.png  <<<Screenshot

General info on my setup:
Windows 7, Sibelius Ultimate.  VDL 2.5.5 (I think).  I have the VDL and S7S templates combined; the problem persists without the combination.
My setup is complete as far as I can tell.  I've got the xml file in the right place, Kontakt is set up, playback configuration created etc.  The sounds come through fine--it's only the page layout that is confusing me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hugh Smith

Hi drumm77, welcome to the forum!

Everything including and past the tilde "~" is hidden text, although you have it visible in your screenshot. How does it look when hidden text is not visible? Check/uncheck View > Invisibles > Hidden Objects.
Hugh Smith

drumm77

Hugh, that fixed the text floating!  Thanks a lot!  However, the page size still seems dependent on how many instruments are on the page.  Adding or removing an instrument will extend or shorten the page vertically rather than adjust it into systems like Sibelius normally would.  Adding notes to the parts will extend it horizontally.  Switching the layout between portrait and landscape seems to have no effect.

https://i.imgur.com/vNdHjXE.png  << Screenshot.  This document is set to letter size, landscape, with standard margins.  Is this expected behavior and I'm just missing something?

Hugh Smith

Is this a new occurrence, or has it always behaved like this for you? Does it do the same thing when you create a new score that's not based on the Template? Did you update/upgrade Sibelius recently?

That image you linked to looks normal.
Hugh Smith

drumm77

EDIT:

I figured it out! There was nothing wrong with the template, it was just displaying with settings I'm not used to using...the solution was simply to uncheck the "Panorama" option under the View tab!  Thanks very much for the help regarding the floating text Hugh, and for your great work on this template!  Now I can really dive into VDL.

Hugh Smith

Excellent!

Have fun writing!
Hugh Smith