Author
Topic: Re-assigning Percussion Tones in Sibelius Stave & VDL

tjuniel

I've recently upgraded to VDL 2.5.5 to use the 10 bass drum library. In doing so, the tones don't coincide with the ascension of the stave. Is there an easy way to re-assign these tones to match the stave?

Hugh Smith

Hi tjuniel, welcome to the forum!

I just opened up a copy of the BaseLine TriggerTest file and it played back as it should.

Please attach a screenshot of your Playback Configuration and Mixer (the BaseLine 10 instrument might be pointing to Sibelius Player instead of Kontakt).
Hugh Smith

tjuniel

Hugh,

I was able to momentarily resolve the issue of concern some time ago. I created a Marching Bass Line-7 Instrument and reassigned its playback assignments to desired stave lines, etc... Now, is there a way to save this "Instrument" from one score to my overall Instrument List within VDL 2.5? As of now, this instrument can only be found in the particular score that it was created within.

Also, would be ideal for VDL to recognize the various multiple bass drum options and multiple staff lines as necessary to avoid notes appearing like cluster chords. Possibly even the use of a grand staff when 8 or more basses are asked for. The current configuration limits where notes can be placed on a 5 or 6-lined stave.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: tjuniel on June 16, 2019, 04:58:21 PM
Now, is there a way to save this "Instrument" from one score to my overall Instrument List within VDL 2.5? As of now, this instrument can only be found in the particular score that it was created within.

That is a Sibelius limitation, instrument definitions confined to the score it's in. Otherwise, the only other way to move it from one score to another is Export/Import a House Style. Depending on how many modifications to things that have been done in either of the applicable files, this method could introduce "bugs" into the "new" file. May not be worth it to get just one instrument definition "migrated" to already-existing scores.

Once you have your modified "Master" template file, use that as your starting point for new projects.

Quote from: tjuniel on June 16, 2019, 04:58:21 PM
Also, would be ideal for VDL to recognize the various multiple bass drum options and multiple staff lines as necessary to avoid notes appearing like cluster chords. Possibly even the use of a grand staff when 8 or more basses are asked for. The current configuration limits where notes can be placed on a 5 or 6-lined stave.

Yes, I agree that would be ideal, but grand staffs are only for pitched instruments - again, Sibelius limitation. Perhaps you could use multiple instances of the same instrument to alleviate the clustering issue (think "parts"). Just an idea.

Are you using a modified version of the BassLine 10-Drums Manual instrument?
Hugh Smith

tjuniel

Ok, I'll play around with the Export option. And yes, I modified the BassLine 10-Drums Manual. For some reason, C5 represented the highest pitched drum in the BassLine 10-Drums Manual, D5 - G5 were all the same pitch. So yes, I edited the sound sets assigned to the drums allowing me to use C4 - G5 (C, D, F, A, C, E, G) for my 7 Bass Drum needs.

Hugh Smith

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.
Hugh Smith