Author
Topic: Sibelius / Catalina

eccperc

Hello,

Late last year I experienced a computer crash, and had to upgrade to a new Macbook operating Catalina. I have been unable to get VDL to function with either existing or new scores in Sibelius.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3
2.3 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
16GB

Sibelius Ultimate 2019.12 build 2071
Kontakt 6 Player 6.22
VDL 2.5

I purchased The Write Score VDL templates in February 2013. I emailed the Write Score late last week and they provided a new download link for the templates, but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

I had been in touch with Luke Aylsworth at TapSpace, and he had suggested I needed to move files to proper places on the hard drive, which I believe I did. I may have multiple instances of the VDL templates and sound libraries as a result of trying to move them to the correct location.

Any help is appreciated - I've been unable to use Sibelius with VDL since October. Thank you!

Thanks,
Chris

Hugh Smith

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!

Looks like you have VDL loaded into Kontakt Player. Load some VDL patches and see if they playback properly (using the keypad in Kontakt Player).

In Sibelius, create a new Playback Configuration in order to use Kontakt Player as a device.

Where exactly did you place the Template sound set XML file?

In Sibelius 2019+, the Sib user's folder does not have any version numbers on it, as in "Sibelius" instead of "Sibelius 7".

It looks like you're close.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

eccperc

Thanks so much Hugh!

I successfully loaded a sound in Kontakt and it played.

I have instances of the sound set in Sibelius>Sounds AND also Sibelius 7>Sounds. (pictures attached) I also have a fresh download from yesterday in my downloads folder if needed.

I created a new playback configuration. There are several variants of Kontakt that appear as available and I added to the configuration. (picture attached)

It's still not working. 

Thank you for all your help!

Thanks,
Chris

Hugh Smith

Use the AU version of Kontakt Player.

You haven't assigned the VDL Template sound set to an instance of Kontakt. Attach a screen shot of the sound set drop down list.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

eccperc

Hugh -

Thanks so much. I think I have it!

I attached a screenshot of the configuration and sound set drop down list.

It seems to be working mostly well. I successfully started a new score with the template that plays the VDL sounds, and opened a mallet quartet score that also plays well. It wasn't quite 100% with a more complex marching band score, but I assume that has to do with instrument changes and elements that would just require individual fixes within that particular score.

I can't thank you enough Hugh!

Thanks,
Chris

Hugh Smith

To further test the environment, open one of the TriggerTest files and play each staff by itself.

Glad you got it going.
Hugh Smith