hey Hugh, the Avid support team had me follow these steps, and everything is fixed! I didn't re-install Kontakt, per the instructions below, but everything else fixed it. I just made a new playback configuration for VDL after I did all these steps and it all worked. I wanted to post the instructions they gave me just in case you were wondering, or if anyone else has similar issues:
"Have you tried reinstalling your Kontakt?
Please follow the instructions below to reset your Playback Configuration and Preferences.
Please be warned that if you have any 3rd party sound libraries set up in Sibelius, they will be deleted.
- Make sure Sibelius is closed.
- Open Finder then select Go > Go to folder (keyboard shortcut: Command-Shift-G) (⌘⇧G)
- Type ~/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius
- Drag the "Playback Configurations" folder, "PlogueEngine" folder, and the PlaybackConfig.xml file to trash
- Next, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Avid/Common
- Delete contents in the Common folder (if there are any)
- Now go to ~/Library/Preferences
- Look for a file called "com.avid.sibelius.plist"
- Delete file
- Empty Trash
- Restart computer"
thank you for your help!