Author
Topic: Template not working with Sibelius Sounds

Hugh Smith

More info on S7S library....

My question:

Is "/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius Sounds/Sibelius 7 Sounds" still the default install location for the library?

Their answer:

Sometimes, more recent installations use:
     /Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius Sounds/Sibelius Sounds

And then, of course, end-users can move the whole library to somewhere else.
     You can discover the current actual location by looking inside:
     /Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius Sounds/Libraries/Sibelius 7 Sounds.xml
Hugh Smith

mmaize

hmm, the image attached is all that comes up when I follow those steps. When I search "sibelius 7 sounds" on my computer, all that comes up that is code to the name are .xml files. Maybe I should re-install Sibelius 7 Sounds from my account on their website?

Hugh Smith

macOS doesn't show what you're looking for in search results (likely a "security" or "keep-the-user-from-messing-something-up" feature), you'll need to manually navigate there.

That's what I had to do.
Hugh Smith

mmaize

how do I manually search for it? the attached picture is the only thing I could find while searching that had "sibelius sounds" in the name. Should I try to re-install Sibelius sounds? I am curious, if I don't have Sibelius Sounds installed, how do I have sounds coming from the wind instruments that are playing back correctly?

update: I opened a new manuscript sheet in Sibelius (not a VDL template) to check the brass instruments, and the tuba and trombone parts worked perfectly. I've also opened up other VDL template projects and added the tuba, and it played back perfectly.

mmaize

also, I asked this same question in another forum and I think I found out how to find the Sibelius sounds file.

Hugh Smith

That folder size looks the same as mine.

Quote from: mmaize on June 19, 2020, 08:12:53 PM
update: I opened a new manuscript sheet in Sibelius (not a VDL template) to check the brass instruments, and the tuba and trombone parts worked perfectly. I've also opened up other VDL template projects and added the tuba, and it played back perfectly.

Hmm... do those still not work in a fresh copy of the VDL Template?
Hugh Smith

mmaize

It's been so long since I started a project on the original VDL template- what is that file name again? But also, I am now seeing that my strings and brass sounds do not work when I open an original template from Sibelius.

Hugh Smith

In the Template package, it is "VDL_Template_7.0a_(Sib7).sib".

I'm still not sure what is going on with the S7S library.
Hugh Smith

mmaize

hey Hugh, the Avid support team had me follow these steps, and everything is fixed! I didn't re-install Kontakt, per the instructions below, but everything else fixed it. I just made a new playback configuration for VDL after I did all these steps and it all worked. I wanted to post the instructions they gave me just in case you were wondering, or if anyone else has similar issues:

"Have you tried reinstalling your Kontakt?

Please follow the instructions below to reset your Playback Configuration and Preferences.
Please be warned that if you have any 3rd party sound libraries set up in Sibelius, they will be deleted.

- Make sure Sibelius is closed.
- Open Finder then select Go > Go to folder (keyboard shortcut: Command-Shift-G) (⌘⇧G)
- Type ~/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius
- Drag the "Playback Configurations" folder, "PlogueEngine" folder, and the PlaybackConfig.xml file to trash

- Next, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Avid/Common
- Delete contents in the Common folder (if there are any)

- Now go to ~/Library/Preferences
- Look for a file called "com.avid.sibelius.plist"
- Delete file

- Empty Trash
- Restart computer"

thank you for your help!

Hugh Smith

Hi Michael

Excellent! Glad to see you got it sorted.

And thanks for posting the information. May very well come in handy for someone else.
Hugh Smith

sethquadz

Does anyone know how to fix this with windows?

Hugh Smith

What exactly are you having trouble with?
Hugh Smith