Author
Topic: Myriad Mapping Problems/Issues

ryanwms

I've had an ever-growing frustration with the VDL Template.
I've been using it for quite some time and I've been having consistent (and/or increasing) problems with what's in the Guide actually happening correctly in Sibelius.
Examples:
Cymbal Rack Combo, Ride Cymbal - the noteheads are correct, but I'm getting Sus Cym crashes.
Cymbal Rack Combo again - I hit F5 on the keyboard to insert a Sus Cym Roll (written E5, Notehead 31) and instead I get a Finger Cymbal (not even in the map)
Tenor Drums. MIDI input for shots on low drums are giving me notes that are nowhere close to mapped correctly.

In my current project, I only have one percussion staff and something like seven instances of Kontakt running. So far there are only a half dozen patches being called up.

I checked the original file that I purchased & downloaded - I never made any edits to that document. It has the same errors.
Where am I falling short??
I'm getting to a point of like, PTSD or something. Lots of work to get done and I'm ever more frustrated the longer I work.

Hugh Smith

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum.

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration. We'll go from there.
Hugh Smith

ryanwms

I know it's been a long time since my post...
It's never gotten better.
I went as far as totally deleting Sibelius and reinstalling it, and starting with the TWS Template from scratch.

My current dilemma: I want a Cymbal Coin Scrape sound. I used the map as defined in the manual from TWS: Hit key F6 to get "Coin Scrape Long" - it correctly maps this onto the staff as E5 with notehead 56.
All I get is a Sus Cym crash.
As I dig in: the Kontakt instance is mapping to a Marimba, not the Cymbal Rack Combo. When I manually edit the Kontakt instance to assign it to Cymbal Rack Combo, I either get no sound - or it automatically changes the map back to Marimba.

ScreenShots attached to this post...

Hugh Smith

You need to change the sound set for each instance of Kontakt to "VDL SoundSet 7.0a". If you don't see that in the drop down list, then revisit the Readme on where to copy that file from the Template package.

Oh, and play with the TriggerTest files too, that'll help to show if the environment is setup properly.
Hugh Smith

ryanwms

Holy moly.

That was it.
I never did that step.

Fixed this problem.
I'll bet it solves other problems, too.

THANK YOU

Hugh Smith

Yup, it's often something 'simple'.

Happy writing!!
Hugh Smith