Author
Topic: Deleted Percussion MIDI Map

alopez84255

Hi,

I have been having problems with templates for finale v.25.

A while back, I accidentally deleted one of the percussion midi maps (snarling manual). I reached out to Write Score and got a new template, however this did not fix the issue.

I reinstalled/uploaded the Write Score Templates, reinstalled Kontakt and VDL, and I am still missing the SnareLine Manual MIDI map. I have never experienced any issues with VDL or Finale so this is odd to me.

I have been in constant communication with Luke Aylsworth from Tapspace. He has been awesome and tried helping with every issue regarding Virtual Drumline but we were unable to find a solution, therefore we decided it is time to reach out to you guys as well.

Is there a possibility there might be some bugs in the templates or Finale v.25?

Thank you for your support.

-AL

TBoliske

Thanks for reaching out.

I would first suggest that you review the ReadMe documentation that came with the templates package. Next, locate the folder named MIDI Device Annotation. This folder contains the XML files that make up the Percussion MIDI Maps. The VDL255 Battery.xml file contains all of the battery midi maps, including the SnareLine Manual. This file may be copied and pasted to the locations listed in the ReadMe documents.

If what you are referring to as the MIDI Map is the Layouts that define noteheads and staff placement for the various sounds available, those are part of template files and may be found in any of the three (3) templates. The Percussion Layouts are not individual files but part of the templates. Since you indicate that you were able to obtain a new set of templates from The Write Score they should be found then in any of those Finale files. Be aware that the Percussion Layouts are only a part of these templates and will not be found in a Finale file created or saved from anything other than the these templates.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

alopez84255

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I have tried all of your suggestions but had no luck. I have attached a short screen video that hopefully explains the issue a little better.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OiCbPJnt54WtuPu9NiS4UClMB2I8Khiq/view?usp=share_link

Thank you again for your help.

-AL

TBoliske

Thanks for the video. I have a couple of questions so that I am better able to understand your problem.

It would also help to know which Mac operating system and version of Kontakt you are using.

1. You have 2 folders in the Finale Music Templates location. The folder that you open the file from, is that one you created yourself or did you copy the templates package to that location?

The Music Templates folder should only have the template files stored there. The MIDI Device XML Files should be in a different location. The same is true for the Percussion Library folder.

2. In the video, after opening/creating a new file from the templates you load the VDL Percussion library. Is there a specific reason for this step?

That library is already a part of the templates from The Write Score. Are you wanting to use them in a Finale file that you created that is not from the template package?

3. The video does indicate that SnareLine Manual Layout is part of the template file. Have you tried assigning the Percussion MIDI Map first then setting the layout?

The Percussion MIDI Map may assigned in the Score Manager > far right column (Perc MIDI Maps). If the SnareLine Manual is not in that list then
you would need to copy it back to the MIDI Device Annotation folder.

That folder is found in two (2) places.They are:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > MakeMusic > Finale (or whatever version you're using name) > MIDI Device Annotation

or

Macintosh HD > Users > Library > Application Support > MakeMusic > Finale (or whatever version you're using name) > MIDI Device Annotation

I always copy the XML files to both locations.

Make sure you copy the VDL255 Battery.xml file. This contains all of the Battery instrument maps. The only way you could have deleted the SnareLine Manual MIDI Map was to have opened the file in a text editor and deleted just that section of code. Since you indicated that you were sent another copy of the templates that Battery.xml file should not have been altered.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

alopez84255

Hi Ted,

Thank you again for all of your help. I had tried everything that you mentioned before with no luck at all. However, I found out that there has to be some sort of bug in Finale v.25 when you delete templates/midi maps. As soon as I upgraded to v.27, the problem corrected itself and I was able to reinstall VDL and the templates with no problem at all, everything is working now. This may be something that can be mentioned if anyone ever has a similar issue. I hope this helps! and also thank you again for your support.