Author
Topic: Sib 7, VDL, Kontakt 4 - Mac

galljoshua

I have just purchased the upgrade to Sib 7 and have been running VDL 2.5 successfully through kontakt 2.  Does anyone with a mac (or the know how) have any help that they can lend to assist me in my transition to Sib 7, Kontakt 4, and the latest version of VDL?  I purchased my original VDL template through tapspace.  Should I wait for a new one to come out?  Will it be worth it?  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Hugh Smith

Hi Joshua

Hopefully you have KP4 already. KP5 is out, but the current build of Sibelius (7.0.2) does not support it - the next one should. Should you wait for the new VDL template? You don't have to. And it will be worth it when it's done.

Bryan Harmsen is probably the main person that can help with the Mac side of things right now. As far as the transition goes, I'd go ahead and try to get everything setup, pretty much like you did in Sib 6. If you do have any issues though, come on back and we'll see what we can do.

Late
Hugh
Hugh Smith

Bill

What transition issues are you running in to?

I've been using K4, VDL and Sibelius 7 successfully thus far.

The latest VDL template integrates quite nicely in to Sibelius 7.

gbass598

Is there a way to still install Kontakt Player 4?

I can't find the install files anywhere now that version 5 has been released. I can use Sibelius 6 on my MacBook but I'm unable to get Sibelius 7 because of this since I didn't already have Kontakt 4 installed.
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Finding a copy of the KP4 installer may be tricky. I did a Google search and found a couple things, but I'm not totally sure I'd trust them. If I find out something else, I'll let you know.
Hugh Smith

gbass598

Thanks to Jim on the VDL forums, I was able to get Kontakt 4 installed. However, when I go to look at the AU plugin appearing where I select the sund sets, I cannot find the .xml file for the Sibelius 6.0b template within the list.

I've copied the .xml into the Sibelius 7 sounds folder. Is there someplace different I need to move the file for that to appear in Sibelius 7?

Thanks,

Greg
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Quote from: gbass598 on September 20, 2011, 09:29:16 PM
I've copied the .xml into the Sibelius 7 sounds folder. Is there someplace different I need to move the file for that to appear in Sibelius 7?

The sound set is more than likely in the right place. The problem users are running into on the PC side is that Sibelius cannot see that VDL is even installed on the system. What they have to do is go into the Windows Registry and duplicate some of the entries so Sibelius can see VDL.

You said that you're on a Mac, and as far as I know, it is something similar in that Sibelius is unable to see that VDL is installed. If it can't see it, it won't show it to you in the drop down menu.

Hopefully someone like Bryan or Bill can shed some light on the Mac side for us (I don't have one yet).
Hugh Smith

gbass598

I did a bit more digging on VDL forum and found this bit of information from one of the users there that seems to work

On a Mac...

Right Click "Sibelius"
Click "Show Package Contents" (Don't mess with this stuff... seriously [other than this])
Travel to... Contents/Components/Sounds/
Drop the .xml file from TheWriteScore (v6) in here.

That location seems to be where Sibelius 7 pulls all of its sound sets in from for use with the Kontakt Player that the plugin recognizes.
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Thanks for the info, Greg. Now that I see it again, I do remember reading that on the Tapspace Forum.
Hugh Smith

galljoshua

I am still running into an issue with all of this stuff.  Here's my dilemma....

It seems that Kontakt 4 is not compatible with OS X Lion.  Does anyone know about Kontakt 5 and VDL with Sibelius yet?  Also, the template that I have used for VDL and Sibelius 6 came from Tapspace.  I'm not sure where to put it or if it will even work.  I am happy to get a template from The Write Score but I don't know where to put it, how to get a version of Kontakt plugged into Sibelius 7 and so on.  I am on a Mac as well.  Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Hugh Smith

Hi Joshua

The latest version of Kontakt 4 Player that I know of is 4.2.4. Is that what you're running? Again, I don't know for sure if that's compatible with Lion or not. Jim and I were in communication with the Sibelius crew and they are aware of Kontakt 5 Player (it was released on Sept 1) and hopefully the next Sibelius update will have support for it.

You should be able to use VDL Template 6.0/6.0a within Sibelius 7 without any issues, except for the potential setup hurdles. 6.0b is the latest VDL Template for Sibelius, fill out the form here to get the free update.

As far as the hurdles I mentioned, read these topics:
    http://www.thewritescore.com/forum/index.php?topic=101.0
    http://www.thewritescore.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0

Let us know how you get on.
Hugh Smith

bequadro

I have been having huge problems trying to get Virtual Drumline to work with Sibelius 7.

First I didn't have Kontakt player 4.2.4 so I had to get that (which I understand doesn't really work with Lion 10.7).

I couldn't get the playback configuration to work properly (which I finally figured out).  I have been using Sibelius since version 2. 

Now every time I load Sibelius and change my playback configuration from Sibelius 7 Sounds to Sibelius 7 sounds and virtual drumline (a playback configuration that i created) I get certain patches that don't load. Sometimes kontakt player freezes. (included a couple pictures)

Is anyone using Virtual Drumline with Sibelius 7 without problems?  Did I miss something when setting up Virtual Drumline Sibelius and Sibelius 6b templates?  Do I need to move certain plugin files and what not?

Is my playback set up wrong? (included a picture)

Why are these patches not loading. Anyone got any suggestions?

Nick

Sibelius 7.02
Mac Book Pro
4 Gig Ram
2.66 Ghz Intel i7 core duo

Hugh Smith

Hi Nick

The second instance of Kontakt Player needs to have VDL SoundSet 6.0b applied to it (and any subsequent VDL related instance you add later).

The patches/samples that aren't loading are from the Sibelius 7 Sounds library and the errors are coming from Sibelius Player. A few other people have had similar issues with S7S patch/sample loading, but I have not. And I haven't yet heard what the solution for that is. Idea: change the Sibelius Player sound set to "Sibelius 6 Essentials" to get the Sib 6 Essentials to load. Does that work correctly?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

bequadro

So I don't need to have Virtual Drumline 2.5 loaded into on of the Kontakt player.  I only need Sibelius6b for the virtual drumline sounds and Sibelius 7 or 6 Essentials for my wind sounds?

The patch errors only occur when I am load a playback configuration with Sibelius 7 sounds and virtual drumline.

Nick

Hugh Smith

Quote from: bequadro on October 13, 2011, 10:07:14 AM
So I don't need to have Virtual Drumline 2.5 loaded into on of the Kontakt player.  I only need Sibelius6b for the virtual drumline sounds and Sibelius 7 or 6 Essentials for my wind sounds?

Correct. All Kontakt instances using VDL will need the same sound set assigned to them.

Quote from: bequadro on October 13, 2011, 10:07:14 AM
The patch errors only occur when I am load a playback configuration with Sibelius 7 sounds and virtual drumline.

Did you get any errors with Sib 6 Essentials? Are there any errors when just using Kontakt/VDL? Since this seems to be a Sibelius 7 Sounds problem, I'd look on the Sibelius chat pages for a solution.

Hugh
Hugh Smith