Author
Topic: Using Write Score templates with Finale 2012

songface

I have installed Finale 2012 and installed the templates from Write Score and it doesn't work -- I can't access or utilize my Tapspace sounds. It worked before with Finale 2011. Please advise.

TBoliske

You will need to use the new Score Manager to assign playback devices and sounds. The Score Manager is new for Finale 2012. Think of it as a one stop shop for working with your Finale file.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

songface

I have gone to score manager. What I find there are the banks for Tapspace VDL, but I cannot access the individual sounds.

TBoliske

Sorry for the delay in responding. The following steps should get you up and running.

1. Under the MIDI/Audio Menu, check "Play Finale Through VST/Audio Units" (VST if you're using Windows, Audio Units for Macs)

2. same Menu, Open VST/Audio Units Banks and Effects and set Bank 1 to either Kontakt Player or the full version of Kontakt, which ever you're  using. You can also check the box for bypassing the Garritan Ambiance reverb. For general writing and listening playback this removes any reverb setting.

3. Under the Windows Menu, open Score Manager and do the following:
    - the Device column should be set for either the Kontakt Player or full version, whichever you chose in step 2. It may be set already, if not then click in the row for each instrument individually and set.
    - for the Sound column, click Edit Player. The Kontakt/Kontakt Player should open and allow you to load the VDL instruments
    - use the Channel column to verify that the MIDI channels used in Kontakt/Kontakt Player match those with the Score Manager
   - use the Perc MIDI Maps column to assign the Percussion MIDI Maps.
   - once you've set the Map for an instrument go to the lower right corner of the Score Manager and click the Settings button for Notation Style. It should read "Notstion Style: Percussion (button) Settings (button). Now select the Percussion Layout for that instrument.

Let me know if this solves the issue and if you have any further problems.
Ted Boliske

ocedeno

What about the percussion midi maps??? Let's say I am using the SusCym 18" Constantnople. How do I go about getting the sounds into finale 2012? I did everything the directions said for the 2011 templates. I just can't get the sounds to sound. If that makes any sense.

TBoliske

I just replied in the TapSpace forums. Asking the same questions in both forums will not get you faster answers. I suggest you stick to one forum.
Ted Boliske

songface

I have installed the Write Score template for use with Finale 2012. I can now access VDL sounds in the score manager, but when I go to the VDL (Kontakt) player, it says it's not activated or that it is not properly resistered. It sounds like a registration problem with Native Instruments, but this has only happened since installing the new write score program. Please help ... my brain is aching trying to get this together. Thanks.

TBoliske

You'll want to check with Native Instruments and Tapspace regarding the Kontakt Player. It could be either the VDL library or the kontakt Player itself. Without knowing what the message is, it is difficult to give any better directions on solving this issue. Understand, the files from The Write Score are just that, 'Files'. They are not an application or software program. Without the parts from Finale, Tapspace, and Native Instruments, they are of limited use.
Ted Boliske

songface

When I try to load a sound from Kontakt Player/Virtual Drum Line into Finale, I get an error message which says. "There was an error trying to acquire a liscense for this patch! Error message: this copy is not yet activated. Please us the (Native Instruments) Service Center to activate." When I go to the Service Center, it says that both the Kontakt Player and the Tapspace (VDL) are activated. The only reason I inquiring to Write Score is that I did not have this problem until I installed Wrte Score's 2012 templates for Finale. Please help. thank you.

TBoliske

It sounds as though the problem you are encountering is with VDL and or Kontakt. Which version of VDL and Kontakt are you using? Have you reviewed the Readme document to verify that the XML files were placed in the correct folder? It would also help if I knew which operating system you were running, as the file paths are different between Mac and Windows and within the various flavors of those systems (Mac 10.6.X, 10.7.X, XP, Vista, 7).
Ted Boliske