Author
Topic: Kontakt Player 5 and Sibelius 7

stevenrherman

TWS edit: split topic

I am currently running Kontakt Player 5 with Sibelius 7 and i am only able to hear VDL 2.5 Marimba and Vibe sounds, no aux, or battery. I am very new to this and have been reading around for answers to this problem. Is the templet necessary for these sounds to be heard?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: stevenrherman on October 17, 2011, 12:14:41 AM
I am currently running Kontakt Player 5 with Sibelius 7 and i am only able to hear VDL 2.5 Marimba and Vibe sounds, no aux, or battery. I am very new to this and have been reading around for answers to this problem. Is the templet necessary for these sounds to be heard?

Are you really running KP5 inside Sibelius 7 successfully? I wasn't aware that anyone was able to do that with the most recent update that's available. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Please expound on your question.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

stevenrherman

i believe so. im very new to this but i am able to hear the mallet instruments playback fine. I've included a picture of the audio devices im using. I just downloaded the Sib 6b Templet as i was told it would work fine with 7 however i can't locate where to install the xml file.

Hugh Smith

Ah, OK, the image helps a lot. Sibelius 7 does see KP5 as a VST, but it doesn't see it as a Kontakt device ("Type" field under Available Devices). If it doesn't see it as a Kontakt device, it won't give you "VDL SoundSet 6.0b" - or any other Kontakt sound set - in the Active Devices sound set drop down menu (double click to access the list).

If you can use Kontakt 4 Player, you'll still probably need to do some Registry tweaks to get Sibelius to see that VDL is installed. You may want to contact Native Instruments for a KP4 installer, or see if you can get assistance from Tapspace by submitting a support ticket there.

The sounds you are hearing are coming from the General MIDI sounds that are part of Windows. Once you get the VDL stuff setup, you'll find these to be sub-par at best.

Each instance of Kontakt Player will hold up to 16 patches/instruments at once. You are more than likely not going to need that many instances activated at the same time.

Here is the list of folder options for placing the sound set XML file.

Let us know how you get on.
Hugh Smith

stevenrherman

Thank you so much for your help. I now have KP4 and i found the hidden files setting to be my problem when trying to place the tmeplet xml file. Now everything is showing up and the sounds are working!

However it seems there may be a pathway error when loading the sound files because every so often sibelius will crash. Any reason why?

Hugh Smith

Glad you got the VDL part working.

Is the pathway error coming from VDL/Kontakt or Sibelius Player?
Hugh Smith

stevenrherman

KP4. i set a pathway. but now everytime i choose an instrument or restart sibelius i have to do this (see image) to load the sound file.

Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith