Author
Topic: Installing on Mac

Peter Kikta

When I attempt to install the templates, XML files, and library in Finale 2012 I get a message that says something to the effect that it is "already installed in a later version of Finale."  What's up with this?  I am very frustrated!  I downloaded the new templates, then realized that I need Finale 2012.  I am $130 into this project and I am about to go crazy!  I just want to get this stuff set up so that I can finish the music that I need to write.  Can someone call me a talk me through this?  I would appreciate it!

Pete...

TBoliske

The templates for Finale 2012 are compatible for Finale 2012 and later, only. If you do not have Finale 2012, then you would need to update from your current version to Finale 2012.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Peter Kikta

I have Finale 2012, and I can't seem to get the VDL files into Finale 2012.  I get a message that they have been installed in a later version.

Pete...

TBoliske

Pete,

I misunderstood about which version of Finale you had installed. So, you have Finale 2012. Which version of VDL are you running. 2.55 or earlier? Which version of the Finale 2012 templates are you running, the 2012a or 2012a.1? 2012a.1 includes the updates to VDL 2.5.5. Which version of the Mac OS are you running, 10.7 or an earlier version?

The XML files will be installed into the same location regardless of which OS version you are using. But, you may need to copy them to the user library as well as the common. This is where the OS version comes into the play. In Mac OS 10.7, the user/Library folder is hidden.

The question that baffles me is the error message you are getting. I've not seen this with the XML files and my MIDI folder (for Finale 2012) contains 3 different versions of the XML files. Please post a screen shot of the message and that folder.
Ted Boliske

Peter Kikta

I am running the following software:

Mac OS 10.7.4

VDL 2.5

Finale 2012 Templates 2012a.1

I just purchased the templates and Finale 2012 yesterday, so I am assuming this is the most current version of all of this.

Also, I must admit that I cannot find the "common" library on my Mac.  So...I've attempted to place them directly into Finale 2012 when I had it open.  This seems to be complicated by the fact that, when I open the Mac templates, all I get is a Unix file.  Is this correct for a Mac?  I know just enough to be dangerous.  I've tried following the instructions on the Readme pdf (which I've loaded onto my iPad), but I cannot find all of the folders and locations that are referred to. 

The message that I referred to in one of my previous posts did not come up again today, so I am unable to provide you with a screen shot. 

Pete...

Peter Kikta

Also...

I don't know if this will help or not, but I have Finale 2010, 2011, and 2012 on my computer right now.  ONLY Finale 2010 has a folder full of files, one of which is "Libraries".  I do not have any of these folders on 2011 and 2012.  Does this make a difference?

Pete...

TBoliske

Pete,

Thanks for the additional information. Simple things first.

1. Beginning with Finale 2011, only the application icon is placed in the Applications folder. All of the other folders are now in /Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale (version)

2. You have the most current versions of both Finale and the templates. This version of the templates was created to support an updated version of VDL, which is now at 2.5.5. I would suggest updating VDL.

3. The common Library is at the root or hard drive level. On your desktop, open the drive for the computer. It's probably named something like 'Mac HD'. It is silver and the image is that of a hard disc drive. Once that is open, look for the folder named 'Library/Application Support/MakeMusic. Here you will find the support folders (the same ones you see in the Finale 2010 folder in your applications folder). They are contained in folders for Finale 2011 and Finale 2012.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Ted Boliske