Author
Topic: VDL Template 2012a.1...maybe it's me?

StevenWalker

I'm on a MBP running OSX 10.7.4, Finale 2012a.r3, VDL 2.5.5, and your most recent templates 2012.a.1.

When starting from the Launch window, and after I've selected the appropriate VDL Template, I enter the required Title, Composer, etc, information in the dialogue boxes- only to have them NOT appear in the score or on the parts. Too, in the initial tempo dialogue box within the Launch window, instead of giving me note-values that equal a certain tempo, it gives me "flute plr1, 2, 3", etc...how odd!

Have I installed something wrong?

Otherwise, I seem to have this working well enough for me...

Thanks in advance,
Steven

StevenWalker

And I've just noticed the auto-assign rehearsal markings aren't appearing as they should either...? Is this unique to my computer and it's user's error?

TBoliske

Steven,

Some of this does sound like odd behavior, I'll check things on my end and get back to you with additional info.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mskellett

Have you had a chance to check into this?  I posted about this same issue in May as well.

TBoliske

My apologies to both of you, things have been busy.

How are you opening the template files? On the Mac side, when you open a new template you should not see the dialog box you are mentioning. That information can be added in the ScoreManager using the File tab at the top of the window.

As for the auto-assign rehearsal markings, are you referring to the text expressions which switch from A to B, etc. rather than selecting A, then later selecting B?
Ted Boliske

TBoliske

Ok. I've discovered that the auto assign for rehearsal marks has an unchecked box. This is easily fixed by clicking EDIT when the expression dialog box is open. Select the rehearsal marks category, select the first rehearsal mark (at this point they all look the same, don't worry), check the box for 'Use Auto-sequencing style:', select the appropriate style (cap letters, numbers, or measure numbers), click OK. If you repeat these steps but change the style to one of the other options for the other expressions they will appear in the dialog box as specified.

Let me know if this is unclear in any manner and I'll repost the steps with a bit more detail.

At this point, you should save the open file. If is a current file with some note already entered, just save and continue. If you want to fix this for future files use these steps but work with each of the templates. When you have completed the correction for a blank template, select Save As, navigate to where the templates are stored, make certain that you name the file exactly as it appears in the VDL template folder. This will replace the existing file but you will then not need to fix the problem with future projects.

Again, if anything is unclear let me know and I will repost.

Still working on the Title issue, but I think I know what has happened. The simple solution at the moment is to manually enter that information using the Title Tool.
Ted Boliske

mskellett

I don't a 'rehearsal mark' category under my EDIT option.  I've been able to get measure numbers in the score, but it's not transferring to the parts.  They empty box is present, but no numbers.

...sorry...just noticed they are transferring to the snare part (first stave in the score) but nothing underneath. 

TBoliske

You should be able to set the score/part assignments by clicking on the up/down arrows next to the Assign button. However, this appears to not be an available option. It's either a bug in Finale or in the templates (I'm looking at the 2012a.2_VDL255_Ensemble template). I'll look into it and get back with an answer.

Update: The drop down list next to the Assign button does function. From here you can select all staves, only 1 stave, or a select group of staves for the expression. It also allows you to assign score/part display of expressions.
Ted Boliske

mskellett

Thanks.  That's going now.

Still having issues with Title/composer/ etc. showing up on scores.

TBoliske

Title, Composer, etc. text were removed from a couple of the templates by mistake. You can add these manually using the Text Tool.
Ted Boliske

StevenWalker

Hi guys...

Firstly, thanks for the continued updates. I've been trying to find a work-around for the "title/composer" issue, but with no luck. When I add manually via the text edit box, the title appears, super-imposed, on the the music after the parts are generated. I've managed to make the score look presentable, but not the parts... Have there been any further developments on this issue?

Thanks for your help,
Steven

TBoliske

Steven,

Add you titles and composer/arranger information via the Score Manager. Once entered, select the Text Tool > Inserts > Title, etc. It will probably be necessary to Justify and Align the text boxes. You should only need to do this once with the score, adjustments will carry over to the parts.
Ted Boliske

StevenWalker

Thanks again for the super quick reply and info.

So I've followed your instructions and have gotten the title info to appear correctly after adjusting the justification parameters as you've suggested. However, following the same procedure I can not get any of the other info from the Score Manager>File Info dialogue box to transfer to the parts the way that the title will. It works only on the score??? I can only assume there again is something I'm missing? :)

I know this issue seems trivial, but it rocks my OCD...

Many thanks again,
Steven

TBoliske

Steven,

After you enter the info in Score Manger, go to the Text Tool. Then click in the area of the score where you would place these text items, upper center for title and upper right for arranger/composer. After you click on the score, it must be in page view, then do the Text Tool > Insert > Title, etc. Once you've done this, go to Document > Edit Part and select one to verify that the changes took place.
Ted Boliske