Author
Topic: Cymbal Playback

drumzx

Hello Hugh,

Everything is working for me except (so far) when I put in a Crunch Choke Cymbal.  I hear it pressing the key but on playback, it is silent.  I used my mapping tool for VDL 6.0 which says to use notehead 40.  But when I made the change, there was no affect. . .silence is golden.  What am I missing?

By the way, when I looked for a similar PDF Map in the VDL README 7.0, I don't see it.  The README says to look for VDL_MAPS_7.0.pdf but to be honest, I've purchased, downloaded sooooo many versions that if I have it, I'm not sure where it is stored.  I looked in all the logical places but no success.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System Type: 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Joe

Your VDL_Maps_7.0.pdf file is included in the .zip file when you download the template. So look for your original Sib_VDL_Template_7.0.zip file and it should be in there, if not elsewhere on your system.

I checked the Template 7.0 mapping, and the mapping for that cymbal line sound has not changed; crunch choke is still mapped to notehead 40. So I'm not sure what the problem may be.

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve

Have you updated to 7.0a? You can do that here if you haven't yet. And like Joe said, the 7.0 Maps PDF will still be in the ZIP archive you downloaded. Find that and you should be good.

Exactly which Template version is being utilized in the .sib file you're having trouble with?

Hugh Smith

drumzx

Joe/Hugh,

Thanks to both for responding. 

I'm using the S7S 7.1a template/SoundSet so I led you both astray.  Took me a little to find the most recent and correct information.

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

So you're not using VDL at all?
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Wow, I'm making this explanation worse.

I'm using VDL 5.2.5 with the Sibelius 7.1a template.  Does that make sense (*he says thinking he got it right*)?

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Steve, the S7S Template 7.1a instrument definitions are designed to be used with the Sibelius 7 Sounds sample library that ships with Sibelius 7. To use VDL you would need to have and use VDL Template 7.0a.

Please attach an image of what your Ensemble (Choose from) drop down list looks like. (I've attached an example.)
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Hugh,

This is where my confusion is amplified.  Before I provide you with a screenshot, let me tell you what I wanted and then you can tell me the best path to choose.  I will tell you that I think I've purchased darned near everything that would take me in any direction (and if not, probably will do so. . .if  I can't find what I need to become successful).

I want to use the correct template that will permit me use of the latest version of VDL when working in Sibelius 7.  I want to ensure I can use all 6 bass drums (which I currently have in whatever configuration I am actually using), while using Sib 7.  I'm probably making this harder for both you and me and you can bet that's not my plan.  But I'm not good with (or patient enough for) reading through all the directions to achieve the appropriate level of success, typically because I need to do it "now".  That isn't your problem to be sure and I'm sure that's how I got into my current scenario.  Plundering ahead without worrying about collateral damage.  :-)

One other thought. . .I really like the way Sibelius 6 noteheads were clearly displayed on the staves in the 6 Read Me PDF version.  I'm not sure I'm seeing that extent in any of the Sib 7 template Read me PDFs.

Okay, now (and while arranging our next MB band piece), what do you want me to send to you to help you confirm my idiocy?

Thanks,
Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve

Recognizing ones own shortcomings is the first step to overcoming them. And believe me, in addition to my own efforts, I have plenty of friends and family that try to help me out with the recognizing part. ;D  And yes, practiced patience will serve you greatly.

Quote from: drumzx on July 07, 2012, 02:07:19 PM
One other thought. . .I really like the way Sibelius 6 noteheads were clearly displayed on the staves in the 6 Read Me PDF version.  I'm not sure I'm seeing that extent in any of the Sib 7 template Read me PDFs.

They haven't gone away, they're just located in a different file. For the Sib 7 family of templates I've been producing, the Mapping Diagrams have been placed into the same file with the Input Maps. This file, for each template, is called Library_Maps_version and included in the template package zip archive. So the exact name of the Maps file for VDL is VDL_Maps_7.0a.pdf, Sibelius 7 Sounds is S7S_Maps_7.1a.pdf. You should have a copy of the S7S Maps file. Look inside it and you'll find all the Input Maps and Mapping Diagrams for that template.

My guess is you need to purchase VDL Template 7.0a. But before you do, please send me the problem .sib file(s) and include a description of your Playback Configuration. Once I've looked at your file, I'll then be able to better recommend your next steps. (I sent you a PM to let you know where to send me stuff.)

Hugh
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Sending it shortly. . .

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve

The file you sent me only contains VDL Template 5.2.5. I suspect the issues you're having with cymbal playback are mostly because you are using the "Virtual Drumline 2.5" sound set instead of the "VDL SoundSet 5.2.5" sound set in your Playback Configuration. For playback of this file, selecting the latter mentioned sound set from the drop down list should give you better results.

Since the brass and wind instruments are all from Sibelius' defaults (and not the S7S Template), your best choice for a Sibelius Player sound set will be either "Sibelius 7 Sounds" or "Sibelius 6 Essentials" - assuming you still have the v6 Essentials library as an option.

Quote from: drumzx on July 05, 2012, 03:41:36 PM
I'm using VDL 5.2.5 with the Sibelius 7.1a template.

I think I understand what you mean by this now. Trying to use the S7S SoundSet with the default instruments will / can / may give you mixed results - at least that's not how it's been designed to work. Going with my suggestions above will most likely better fill the bill when continuing to use that .sib file (and others like it).

Now, with all that said, here is my recommendation. In order to get caught up with all the latest writing tools, and since you already have a license for the S7S Template, purchase only VDL Template 7.0a and I'll make sure someone from TWS gets the S7S-VDL Bundle package sent to you. Also, if you don't have the update to VDL library version 2.5.5, you'll want to go get that too.

Once all that is in place, read Joe's tips on figuring out which of your older files you want to update / migrate. (Be sure to NOT export/import House Styles, the differences in noteheads lists will not allow for a successful merge.)

I think I've covered everything I intended to, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Hugh

Hugh Smith

drumzx

Hugh,

Sorry for my delayed response.  I had already purchased VDL 2.5.5 and have it loaded in KP5.  I purchased the 7.0a template today and will try to be patient with directions.  And I will let you know how I make out with it all.

Thanks for your patience, for working through my issues and for your guidance.

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

You're very welcome, Steve.

I've passed on the info and you should be getting the Bundle package soon. Feel free to keep me updated on your progress.

Hugh
Hugh Smith