Author
Topic: VDL Mallet instruments with Notehead #1 notation

Joe

I occasionally compose marching band front ensemble parts where mallet players are required to simultaneously strike a cymbal with one hand and a pitched bar on the mallet instrument with the other hand. In previous versions of VDL templates (say 6.0a or 6.0b) I'm pretty sure this worked with less necessary complications than it does with the current 7.0a template. Let me explain:

In 6.0a/b, if I recall correctly I would input the mallet pitch as normal, which is Notehead 0. Then I would add another note above that one the same beat, change this note to Notehead 1 for proper notation, and move it to the desired location on the staff. I'm pretty sure that Notehead 1 notes didn't play back in template 6.0a/b. I would then add a hidden staff in the score and input the cymbal strike in that staff. That gives me proper mallet/cymbal playback.

With Template 7.0a, Notehead 1 notes in mallets instruments are playing back as if they were Notehead 0. Obviously this creates ugly noises if one of those notes is actually supposed to be a cymbal hit. So, to work around that issue I have to enter a Notehead 1 note in layer 2, uncheck play-on-pass, use Sibelius' adjustment of X-position to get the notehead where I want it (so the stems line up between Layers 1 and 2) and then extent the stem of one of the notes so it looks like a typical double-stop notation with the appropriate stem length.

All of this work (OK, I'm exaggerating, but it is a minor annoyance) is necessary because Notehead 1 notes are playing back on mallet instrument staves. Am I going crazy, or was this behavior different in Templates 6.0a and 6.0b?

Hugh Smith

Hi Joe

You're still in Sib 6, correct? Are you sure notehead 1 didn't/doesn't play back in Sib 6 with the older template? I think by default it's supposed to.

When using chords, can you not uncheck play on pass for each individual note, or is it all or nothing?

I'll see if I can tinker with it a little bit tomorrow.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Joe

Quote from: Hugh Smith on July 19, 2012, 05:05:23 PM
You're still in Sib 6, correct? Are you sure notehead 1 didn't/doesn't play back in Sib 6 with the older template? I think by default it's supposed to.
Yep, I'm using Sib 6. My recollection is that Notehead 1 does not play back on older templates. I will dig up an old score and check.

QuoteWhen using chords, can you not uncheck play on pass for each individual note, or is it all or nothing?
It seems to be all or nothing. Perhaps this is the behavior that changed from my previous recollection, not the actual playback. That shouldn't be template-dependent, though.

Joe

Hugh,

OK, I checked a score form last year's marching band show. It uses Template 6.0a. You were right - the Notehead 1 note plays back in this scenario, so I was wrong. However, playback of this note for some reason is at a reduced volume. I didn't notice the issue because in this particular case the cymbal note is a 12th above the mallet note (so it disappears somewhat into the overtone structure) and because of this reduced volume. If I change the cymbal note to Notehead 1, playback volume for this particular double stop increases significantly. Strange.

Hugh Smith

Yes, strange indeed. I do know that notehead 1 does have a sound ID change of "+mute" (a Sib default setting which I have not changed), but, depending on the instrument in question, shouldn't make a difference (I think all the VDL ID changes remotely close to that are all "+damp"). For what you've described so far, that is not the issue though.

Hmmm ...
Hugh Smith