Author
Topic: Xylophone Transposition Error in VDL Template 2012a.1

dbratt

Hello all -

First, I'd just like to say that the Finale VDL Templates are wonderful and extremely helpful in getting up and running on a new project quickly.  I really appreciate all the effort that has gone into create such robust and user-friendly templates.

One possible "bug" that I've uncovered is related to how the template handles xylophone parts and transposition.  The Write Score template is based on the default Finale instrument mapping. Finale handles xylophone playback and transposition by requiring that the one octave down transposition must be selected in Score Manager.  Since the Tapspace VDL xylophone sample already plays, as it should, an octave higher than written (why Finale doesn't do that, too, I'll never know!), when writing xylophone parts in the VDL Template that generate playback in the correct register, Finale will show with orange notes, that the part is out-of-range, when in fact, it is not.

The good news is that the orange notes are really just an aesthetic problem - the playback and part printing seem unaffected.  One possible work-around seems to be using Score Manager to change the xylophone staff into a "Blank Staff" which has no default range requirements imposed, unlike the default Finale xylophone map.

Certainly, if anyone knows of another work around or that I missed something in setting up my VDL Template, I would love to hear about it. However, I thought I would mention this issue in case others ran into the same problem.

Kindest regards and happy percussion writing!

Doug
Kontakt 4

TBoliske

Doug,

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll look into it so that the issue is corrected for future templates.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

dbratt

Thanks Ted!

Kontakt 4