Author
Topic: Sibelius NOT aligning hairpins

SR

New WriteScore user here...
I'm using Sib 7, VDL 2.5, VDL_Template_7.0a_(Sib7). When using the VDL_Template, Magnetic Layout for dynamics doesn't work for hairpins. It works for the dynamic marking (f, mf, etc.) but does not include the hairpins in the alignment process. This is a big deal for me, so I hope I'm just missing something simple. I've attached a small pic of the problem. It looks like the hairpins are always higher than the dynamics.

I've briefly searched the Magnetic Layout preference settings, but didn't notice anything unusual. I haven't compared a normal Sib default file and a VDL file directly or completely yet. I've experimented with changing a few Group Dynamic settings (both horizontal and vertical), but can't seem to find the right settings to match a normal Sib default template. Resetting the Mag Settings to Default (bottom of settings window) doesn't fix things.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Thank you!
SR

Hugh Smith

Hi SR, welcome to the forum.

Hmm, can't say I've had anyone mention that problem before. Can you send me the file it's doing that in? I'll take a look at it for you. (Sent you a PM.) Please include as many screen shots as you deem necessary, and also one of your Playback Configuration.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Joe

SR,

I'm not sure whether you're talking about magnetic layout truly not working (i.e. your hairpins are on top of notes or staff lines) or if you just mean dynamic markings and hairpins aren't aligned with each other.

If it's the latter, I've found a fix. In noticed that with the current VDL template version (and I suppose past versions as well), whenever I enter lines for crescendos and decrescendos, I always have to bump them up to align them with dynamic markings. By going to House Style > Default Positions..., then selecting the "Lines" radio button at the top left, you can change the "vertical position relative to staff" for "Crescendo" and "Diminuendo". I changed these from -5.5 spaces to -4.5 spaces and now I almost never have to adjust the position of these lines from the default placement on entry.

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve, et al

Joe's suggestion did the trick (thank you sir). Getting to the dialog box is different between Sib 5/6 and 7, but once there it should be the same. So...

Sib 7: Go to Appearance > Design and Position > Lines (radio button). (See attached images)
Sib 5/6: Go to House Style > Default Positions > Lines (radio button).
In the dialog: Select Crescendo, in both Score and Parts, change "Vertical position relative to staff" from -5.5 to -4.5. Be sure to do the same for Diminuendo.

If doing this in an existing work in progress, you may need to select all, then Appearance > Design and Position > Reset > Position.

I went into my master .sib file and it was already set to -4.5, not sure how the VDL Template file got changed.

Let me know how you get on.

Hugh

Hugh Smith

Joe

Hugh,

You changed your master already because I brought this up in October of last year and you dealt with it then. :)
(TWS removed limited access link)

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Joe on May 23, 2013, 11:08:46 AM
Hugh,
You changed your master already because I brought this up in October of last year and you dealt with it then. :)
(TWS removed limited access link)

Ah, I remember now. Thanks Joe!
Hugh Smith