Author
Topic: Some VDL instrument volumes extremely soft

adampietz

Some VDL instruments in Sibelius, usually the marimbas, play back very soft while others, like vibes, play back at a correct volume. It is not a mixer issue. What could be going on here? It is causing huge problems for me!

Mac OSX 10.8.5
Sibelius 6.2
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum.

What version of Kontakt Player are you using in your setup? Did you "upgrade" from VDL 2.5.2 (or older), or did you do a fresh install with 2.5.5?

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.
Hugh Smith

adampietz

I am using Kontakt 4 and I did a fresh install of VDL 2.5.5.

adampietz

I just noticed that my playback configuration says I'm using the sound set VDL SoundSet 7.0a but my instrument list says VDL Template 6.0a.

I was using an older template prior to my recent purchase of the 7.0 template (and was having these same problems).

Hugh Smith

Quote from: adampietz on October 25, 2013, 03:14:17 PM
I am using Kontakt 4 and I did a fresh install of VDL 2.5.5.

Good. Let's hope that that install went smoothly and is not causing the problem.

Quote from: adampietz on October 25, 2013, 03:32:26 PM
I just noticed that my playback configuration says I'm using the sound set VDL SoundSet 7.0a but my instrument list says VDL Template 6.0a.

If using older templates, make sure to use the sound set that's made for it. In this case, 6.0a instrument definitions still need to use the 6.0a sound set.

Quote from: adampietz on October 25, 2013, 03:32:26 PM
I was using an older template prior to my recent purchase of the 7.0 template (and was having these same problems).

With the volume issues you described earlier? Does this happen in a fresh copy of the template?

Send me a file and I'll take a look. (Sent you a PM.)
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

OK, I looked at the file.

The mallets seemed to play back as expected for me. And since the marimba lines' dynamics and Mixer volume settings have been raised to compensate for the volume discrepancy you're having on your system, they played back quite loud and overpowered the other instruments.

It seems that the problem is in your Sib/VDL setup somewhere and not in the file you're working in.

Oh, do the marimba patches do the same thing compared to the others when VDL is in stand alone mode?
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

(Update for those who come across this topic.)

Adam did have the same issue in stand alone mode and fixed it by replacing the contents of the VDL "Instruments" directory with fresh files from the VDL 2.5.5 install.
Hugh Smith

BrianWulf

Having the same problem w/ marimba and snare sounds. What exactly did he replace and where?

Hugh Smith

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

First, does the volume issue happen when VDL is in stand alone mode? If yes, then...

Inside the directory where you installed VDL there is an "Instruments" folder (see attached image). Delete everything inside, then copy/paste the same contents back into it from the VDL 2.5.5 installer files. If that doesn't take care if it you may need to do the same with the .nkc and big .nkx files - or, just go ahead and do a total reinstall. And if that still doesn't work, you'll want to get with the Tapspace guys so they can help you get it sorted out.
Hugh Smith