Author
Topic: VDL Soundset not working! :(

PhanofPhantom10

Okay, here's the issue. I have Sibelius 7 and VDL 2.5. I downloaded the Write Score during the summer and got everything connected like it was supposed to be. However, due to malware, I recently wiped my laptop, but kept everything on an external hard drive. I reinstalled everything as it was supposed to be. VDL and Sibelius are both back, and Sibelius has been fully functional. However, I cannot get VDL to work using Write Score stuff. This time, I'm not sure what I've done wrong.
      I run Windows 7 on my laptop. I have placed the VDL_SoundSet_7.0a in my "Sibelius 7 Sounds" folder. Here is the path. >>> Computer/TI105846W0F(C:)/ProgramFiles(x86)/Avid/SibeliusSounds/Sibelius7Sounds <<<
So, the .xml file has been placed in the Sibelius 7 Sounds folder. That's done. The Kontakt5.dll is in the VST Plugins folder as it should be. When I went into Sibelius using the Sibelius 7 template, and I went onto the Playback Devices menu, I created a Virtual Drumline configuration. However, nothing is appearing in the Available Devices window, or the Active Devices window. I don't know what I've done wrong. Help?

Hugh Smith

Hi PhanofPhantom10, welcome to the forum.

That's not the (Sibelius User's) "Sounds" folder the instructions refer to. Try this one:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius 7\Sounds

Find more info here: Installing A Sound Set

Have a great day!
Hugh Smith

PhanofPhantom10

Thanks! There is no "Sounds" folder. Do I need to create one?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: PhanofPhantom10 on December 30, 2013, 02:55:42 PM
There is no "Sounds" folder. Do I need to create one?

Yes.
Hugh Smith

PhanofPhantom10

I created the "Sounds" folder and moved the .xml file into it, but nothing is appearing in Sibelius, still.

Hugh Smith

Did you restart Sibelius?
Hugh Smith

PhanofPhantom10

Yes, I did.

Hugh Smith

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.
Hugh Smith

PhanofPhantom10

Here you are.

PhanofPhantom10

Please ignore the last photo. That was a an older one that is no longer valid.

Hugh Smith

First image: I don't see Kontakt Player in the left column. That must be there, it's what Sibelius needs to load VDL.
Hugh Smith

PhanofPhantom10

How do I alleviate this issue? And thanks for helping with all of this so far.

Hugh Smith

My guess is that the Kontakt5.dll file is in the wrong place.
Hugh Smith

PhanofPhantom10

I'm having trouble locating my manual for TWS. Where does this .dll file go, then? I thought I had it in the right location.

Hugh Smith

The Template Readme does not have that info about KP5. You'll need to look at your VDL User Guide. (I'm not currently on my Windows 7 machine.)

EDIT:
Assuming 64 bit Sibelius, my Sibelius 7 VST folder on my W7 desktop is at C:\Program Files\Avid\VSTPlugins. (I attached an image.)
Hugh Smith