Author
Topic: I need so much help

AdamFischer

So I just got the Finale 2014 and I have everything done with Kontakt 5. I bought the Finale 2012 VDL template because I couldn't find the 2014 template. I moved the files and followed the instructions and it VDL doesn't show on Finale 2014. Can someone help me with this?
Adam Fischer

TBoliske

I'll need some additional information in order to help. What operating system/version are you running? Which version of VDL has been installed? How familiar are you with using Finale?
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

AdamFischer

I run on Windows 8.1 and I have Virtual Drumline 2.5 version. I'm not too familiar with Finale since I'm a first time user
Adam Fischer

TBoliske

Thanks for the extra information. My first suggestion is to re-read the information about installing the support files, the Library, XML, and template files. The documentation was created prior to the release of Windows 8. However, I don't believe those paths have changed. For verification, I'd review the Finale Help Guide.

Since you are new to Finale, it would be helpful to go through the tutorials that came with Finale and review all of the information regarding the Score Manager.

When you state that "VDL doesn't show on Finale 2014", can you be more specific? Are you able to see Kontakt when selecting a device within the Score Manager window? If you open Kontakt alone, outside of Finale, are you able to see VDL?
Ted Boliske

AdamFischer

When I open Kontakt by itself, VDL library is in there and I can access it and everything. I guess the only problem is that I don't know how to bridge VDL to Finale 2014. And that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Adam Fischer

TBoliske

This is from the Finale Knowledge Base:

Close Finale. Copy the Kontaktx.dll file from the following folder:
        Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt x\VSTPlugins
        Windows Vista/7 C:\Programs\Native Instruments\Kontakt x\VSTPlugins

Paste the Kontaktx.dll file to the following folder:
        Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data*\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support
        Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[your account]\AppData*\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support

*This is a hidden folder. To show hidden files and folders, go to the Explorer's Tools Menu (XP) or the Organize Menu (Vista/7), Folder and Search Options, the View tab, and Show hidden files and folders.

The full Kontakt VST/AU should now be available as a playback device under MIDI/Audio Menu > Instrument Setup > VST/AU Instruments.
Ted Boliske