Author
Topic: Sibelius Template for Virtual Ensemble Trilogy (VET) by Sample Logic

MooreDrums

Hey All,

I recently picked up VET from Sample Logic and was stoked about using it as my new "VDL" library. However, they really dropped the ball on the provided templates for percussion mapping. I'd say most of the sounds loaded in the library are not mapped, or incorrectly mapped to the stave's. Needless to say it makes it where I'm unable to use it past basic sounds. I'm hoping that the Write Score folks are working on a template for Sibelius and VET sounds? Or can point me to a good resource for mapping my own sounds. (As much as that would suck, or perhaps telling me how I can modify the supplies template)

Hugh Smith

I hadn't heard of VET until today. As the Sibelius template developer here at TWS, I have no plans at the moment to produce one for VET. Does the library include a .sib and/or sound set at all?

As far as doing things yourself, I don't know of a good resource outside of the Sibelius User Guide - other than just digging in and figuring out how stuff works. Two quick tips I can give you here are, 1) make sure the sound set is fixed up properly before mapping the instruments, 2) make a layout of the proposed mapping before starting to assign sound IDs (Program Names) to mapped notes.
Hugh Smith

MooreDrums

Yes they have their own sound set created (I assume you're talking the .xml)

I've used Sibelius' sound set tool and I see all the right sets in there as compared to the Kontakt Player. However it seems the template doesn't pull these same sounds in. I've trying pulling them in myself, but I guess I'm not doing something correct.

Thanks for the tips.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: MooreDrums on April 08, 2014, 06:26:17 PM
Yes they have their own sound set created (I assume you're talking the .xml)

I've used Sibelius' sound set tool and I see all the right sets in there as compared to the Kontakt Player. However it seems the template doesn't pull these same sounds in. I've trying pulling them in myself, but I guess I'm not doing something correct.

Yes, the XML file.

What do you mean by "the template"?

Hugh Smith

MooreDrums

They supplied a "template" file for Sibelius that has predefined percussion notation to use with the VET sound file. However, there is some really bad mapping and only a few of the sounds actually work.

Hugh Smith

Hmm... sounds like someone doesn't know exactly what they're doing. Hopefully you can sort out what you need from it.

I'm working on producing a sound set for the Garritan World Instruments library, and one of the things I'll be providing with it are video tutorials covering how to create custom instrument definitions - both pitched and unpitched. These vids will only be available for those who purchase said product, but I may be able to get you access to them. I'll let you know. (I don't have a specific completion time frame.)
Hugh Smith

MooreDrums

That would be great. I bought your Sibelius 6 template to use with the VDL Lite sounds I had. I bought the VET sound library because for the same price as VDL it gave me more for my money.... looks like that was a bad mistake. :(  I'd love to see the vids. Or make them for a donation you can access them or something?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: MooreDrums on April 10, 2014, 10:15:25 PM
I bought the VET sound library because for the same price as VDL it gave me more for my money.... looks like that was a bad mistake. :(

I'm sure the library is fine, it's just that simple user integration into Sibelius seems to have gotten overlooked.

Quote from: MooreDrums on April 10, 2014, 10:15:25 PM
I'd love to see the vids. Or make them for a donation you can access them or something?

I hadn't thought of that. Might be a possibility there.
Hugh Smith

Bill

I've seen specs for VET and while there's a lot of sounds, under the hood, the scope isn't the same as VDL.  Yes with VET you're getting brass (no woodwinds), but you don't have the sounds in the battery and front ensemble that VDL offers.

Dollar for dollar, the sounds you get with VDL are superior to the sounds you get from VET...imho.

MooreDrums

True it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that VDL offers, but I'm not writing full out percussion ensembles, just the battery stuff. I enjoy the sound of the battery over that of VDL. Plus is meets my needs for the few times I need to push thru a score that has brass and gives me a better sampling of a live performance.