Author
Topic: Notation is working. Sound is not.

Blackstock4980

Hello.

Today, I came back to a Sibelius 7 file to try and finish. I am able to input notes, but there is no sound. I have made sure that the VDL 7.0 sound set is activated and, yes, I have made sure that my volume is raised (figured that would be the first thing I was offered). I can open the mixer and see that the channels are moving up and down, but there is no sound. I opened iTunes, etc. and have no problems playing mp3's, etc. I am at a loss. I tried to open older files, but I faced the same result.

I am using Sibelius 7, with VDL.  I am using a MacBook Air.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Adam

Hugh Smith

Hi Adam

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Do the TriggerTest files playback correctly?

Do you have any other audio related programs open in addition to Sibelius?
Hugh Smith

Blackstock4980

Hugh,

I have attached the screenshot of the configuration, and also a screenshot of the mixer during playback (just to show that the audio output APPEARS to be working).

Thanks for your help.

Adam

Hugh Smith

The config looks good.

Please answer the other two questions. And, does VDL playback when in stand alone?
Hugh Smith

Blackstock4980

Hugh,

Sorry about omitting answers to the other questions.

I am not running other audio-related programs. The trigger tests did not play, but you can see the levels in the mixer - just like the playback of the files.

I thought of something. I recently used this laptop to do some audio recording. Do you think that the use of the audio interface might have had something to do with this? Just a thought. I recorded between my last time using Sibelius and now. Again, just a thought.

Thanks.

Adam

Hugh Smith

Yeah, that could be it. From the Playback Configuration dialog there's a button in the bottom left that reads "Audio Engine Options". Click on it and attach a screen shot of what it shows - and otherwise look at it yourself. Maybe using the other program inadvertently changed a setting here.

Since the TriggerTest file is behaving the same way, this tells me something went wonky in the audio part of the setup. (Yes, that's the technical term.)

The reason I asked about other programs open is because on some systems Sibelius is an audio hog - or vice versa, it won't get the output.
Hugh Smith

Blackstock4980

Hugh,

To my knowledge, nothing is different within the audio engine settings. Do you see anything?

Adam

Hugh Smith

Can you send me the file to check on my system? (Sent you a PM.)
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Hi Adam

I do not see anything out of place in your Audio Engine Options.

The file you sent me played back as I would expect. I'm currently at a loss for what the problem might be.

Have you scanned the Sibelius Chat pages for a possible answer?

Does VDL playback in stand alone?

Do you hear Sibelius 7 Sounds playback when using Sibelius Player?
Hugh Smith

Blackstock4980

Hugh,

I do not see anything son the Sibelius forums. The general midi sound sets are working, just fine. VDL does work on its own.

This is beyond frustrating. Do you think it would be beneficial to uninstall/reinstall Kontakt Player and/or VDL?

Thanks.

Adam

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Blackstock4980 on July 29, 2014, 05:47:30 PM
Do you think it would be beneficial to uninstall/reinstall Kontakt Player and/or VDL?

At this point I don't think it'd hurt - and possibly Sibelius too.
Hugh Smith

Blackstock4980

Hugh,

I started with uninstalling/reinstalling Sibelius, and the issue is fixed! I don't know what it was, but this seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for all of your help.

Adam

Hugh Smith

You're welcome. Have a great day!
Hugh Smith