Author
Topic: FIN14_VDL255_Percussion Library.lib

danielmontoyajr

Hello

I recently downloaded the templates and maps for VDL 2.5 for Finale 2014.  I followed the ReadMe and copied everything where it needs to go.  I can now access the maps in the Pec Midi Map area of the Score Manager.  However, I cannot load the library FIN14_VDL255_Percussion Library.lib.  When I do, I get an error message that says "Finale cannot open this selected filetype.  Please select another file."

As it is now, when I enter into the score, the notes are all over the place but sound correct.  However when I playback, they play the wrong sounds. 

Please advise.  Thank you.

Daniel Montoya Jr.
Mac OSX Yosemite

danielmontoyajr

I have attached a video with my main issue. 

http://youtu.be/5bWwaLAhFmY

The file in question was created with 2011 and everything is pointed to the 2011 libraries and such.  When I fixed the percussion midi map to point to 2014, the sounds work but playback and notation don't.  As shown in the video, I can't load the library for finale to point to the 2014 vsl percussion layout.

DMJ

TBoliske

Daniel,

To the load the Library file, in Finale with a document open go to File > Load Library.

Also, as long as you have the 2011 XML files (these are the percussion midi maps) in the correct folder you should be able to work with this 2011 Finale file in Finale 2014. The percussion layouts are part of the template files so they are already set. You may need to check that the instruments are set up correctly.

Follow up:

I watched the video and I'm not sure why you're getting that error message. Unless it has something to do with the original file having been created in 2011. I also noticed that while you set the percussion midi, you did not show if you selected the percussion layout. That is in the Score Manager, right side-bottom half. Notation should be set Percussion > click Select > then select the matching percussion layout.

As I mentioned in my first response, I would stick with the 2011 percussion midi maps and layouts.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

danielmontoyajr

Ted

Everything is pointed to the right spots, but I am still having issues with the playback and notation.  And whether it's a new document in 2014, or an older document from 2011, I still cannot load the file. 

Is anyone else having an issue loading the library?  I have it in the "common" library and the "user" library.  Neither will open.

danielmontoyajr

Another video showing what you asked for.

http://youtu.be/dctf7JvaqXI

Daniel

TBoliske

Daniel,

I'm still unable to reproduce the issue you are having with loading the library file. On my system I've successfully load the library file into existing and new documents in Finale 2014 as well as a file created previously in Finale 2011. This has been tested on both Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10.

As for the playback, I'm again not certain why it does not function correctly. The only places I can point you to look would be your use of Kontakt 4 and running Finale 2014 on Mac OS 10.10.

I will continue to look for the culprit and keep you posted. It wouldn't hurt to trash your Finale 2014 preferences as something in this file may be corrupt.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

danielmontoyajr

Ted

I erased the preferences, re-installed Finale, and tried to load that library.  It still will not load.  I unzipped the file again and tried a fresh .lib but it still did not work.

I am at a total loss here.  Any more advice?

Daniel

danielmontoyajr

Ted

I FIGURED OUT A WORKAROUND!

After hours and hours of trying to load the library, I finally looked in the templates folder and opened up the Default14 file.  I was able to load, playback, and input all the right notes in all the right places!  I then saved the library into a different name, and loaded that library into a new and older file in 2014.  Everything worked!

Now, I have transposition issues with the files from 2011 into 2014, but I don't really need to hear that stuff back anymore.  As long as I can input into 2014 with no problems I'm happy!  I still can't load that library, though.  But it looks like I don't need to now!

But quick question... I want to make sure I save all the right things from the Default Template.  When I "save library," should I just check every box and load into my new document?  Or are there things I can remove (like midi data, and such)?

Thanks so much for your time and patience.  I appreciate all your help!

Daniel