Author
Topic: Need Help With Finale 2012

Jeff Chambers

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting Finale 2012 and Virtual Drumline to talk to each other using "The Write Score" files. Here's are the problems I'm having.

-I open up a new template file (let's say the battery only file for example)
-There are no VDL libraries loaded yet so I load them all up in KontaktPlayer2 (I use all of the Manual MW files)
-Now I go into score manager and load up the correct percussion layouts to match the sound libraries I have picked. (Again I use all of the Manual MW files)
-I go to start inputting notation and nothing lines up. The notation is all over the place and none of the sounds line up with the visual notation.

What am I missing/doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated! I have read both ReadMe files twice and have had no luck.

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

TBoliske

While you don't mention which operating system you're using, the problem should be solvable.

While in Score Manager, you also need to set the Percussion MIDI Maps to match the Percussion Layout. These are two separate items. The column for the Percussion MIDI Maps is on the far right of the main (upper) portion of the window. If you don't see the column, use the Customize button just below the upper portion and check that the column is to be visible.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Jeff Chambers

Hi there.

Thanks so much for the help! My bad for not mentioning the operating system; I'm on Windows 7 currently.

I hadn't set the percussion MIDI maps to match the percussion layout so thanks for that note. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem. Here are some pictures step by step of what's happening. (for the sake of easiness, I will only do the snareline staff)

1.) I select the FIN12_VDL Battery_ONLY_Template file from the templates folder and open it up

-
-
-
2.) I setup everything in the score manager.
***Device: KontaktPlayer2.
***Percussion Midi Map: "SnareLine Manual" from FIN12_VDL Battery

-
-
-
-
-
***Notation Style: VDL2.5 Snareline Manual Full/Lite (MW)

3.) I Select "SNARELINE MANUAL [MW]" in Kontakt Player as my sound.

4.) But then when I go to enter notes on my midi keyboard, this happens.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Jeff

TBoliske

From the last image it appears as though those two sounds are not set up correctly. Which sounds are displaying that way? Is it just the snare line or are some of the other non-pitched instruments doing the same thing? Also, are you using VDL 2.5 or the updated VDL 2.5.5? There are additional sounds in the update. It may be those which you are seeing as the yellow note heads.
Ted Boliske

Jeff Chambers

It has been all four battery sections; snares, tenors, basses and cymbals.

My situation is that I bought the write score back in 2012 and I had trouble getting it to work then and kinda gave up. But now I'm trying to get it going again. I am still on VDL 2.5. I can do the upgrade to 2.5.5 but will I need to upgrade to Kontakt 4 also?

Thanks!

Jeff

TBoliske

Jeff,

Yes you would need to update to Kontakt 4 or Kontakt Player 4. Although the current version is Kontakt 5 which works as well.

Again, without knowing which sounds are displaying this behavior I can't be much more help. It appears from your screen shots that there is a disconnect between the percussion midi maps and the percussion layouts. One simple solution would be to trash your Finale preferences. you would need to consult the Windows help guide for steps on how to do that.

If I knew which specific sounds were displaying the yellow note heads I would be able to verify any mapping issues in the original files.
Ted Boliske

Jeff Chambers

Oh I see what you are saying. Okay below is a new example of the notation that occurs after following all of the same steps.

The midi notes I input on my midi keyboard are;
Ab6
Gb6
Ab6
Gb6
G6
F6
G6
F6

This is the notation that occurs. Please let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again so much for your help!

Jeff

TBoliske

Jeff,

That helps. I won't be able to do any more until late Sunday. In the mean time, double check you're midi keyboard and verify that it has not had an octave change +/-.
Ted Boliske

Jeff Chambers

No worries, I just got back to my computer for the first time since Friday. The octave button is set to zero on my keyboard. Is there any other way it may be transposing up? Perhaps in Finale somehow? Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Chambers

I got it figured out, thanks so much to you! As I was researching/exploring Finale to see if there was a transpose issue somewhere, I discovered that under "MIDI/Audio > Device Setup > Percussion Input Maps", "Match Input Map to output Map" needed to be selected for all channels and that fixed everything. THANK YOU so much for your help and being patient with me! Now time to get some writing done. Thanks again!

Jeff

TBoliske

There should be no transposing done in Finale if everything in Score Manager is at the default settings.

I've looked at both images displaying noteheads and staff placement. What the images show and the pitches you list as having been entered don't coincide. Other than the yellow noteheads, none of the other noteheads are used for F6 and G6. Specifically what sounds are you attempting write? Should these be Snare OFF sounds, Snares ON rims, etc.?

Glad to here it is fixed. This box should have been checked in the templates.
Ted Boliske

Jeff Chambers

Sorry, one more question! If I am adding battery staves to an existing score, is it possible to access the preset percussion layouts from the score manager without starting from a template? The first picture is what I'm seeing and the second picture is what I'm hoping to see.

When trying to access the Write Score percussion layouts from an existing score (not from a template)

When accessing the Write Score percussion layouts from the template

TBoliske

Jeff,

To add Percussion Layouts you will need to load the Percussion Library. If you want to add TWS layouts to a non-template file then select the FIN12_VDL Percussion Libraries. To add the origianal Finale layouts to a TWS template select Percussion Layouts.

Adding TWS Library also adds all of the VDL Text Expressions as covered in the template READ ME.
Ted Boliske

Jeff Chambers

Thanks again! That worked!!

Jeff

Jeff Chambers

I lied, I have another question.

For some reason, I seem to be unable to select a percussion midi map for a bunch of my staves. I have different sounds assigned to different layers on some staves (such as marimba 1-2, vibes 1-2, xylo/bells, timp, synth). However, staves such as Drum Set and Bass guitar are not set up this way. Regardless, it is happening on both types of staves. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!