Author
Topic: Cowbell in SnareLine (AutoRL)

bigjdrum

Hi all,

I sincerely apologize if this is a silly question; however, I need some help here.

I'm writing a score in the VDL 7.0a template (using Sibelius 7.1.3 on Mac OS X).  Everything is working well, but I need a cowbell sound for the snares.  I have found it in the SnareLine Manual instrument map--I doesn't seem to exist in the SnareLine (AutoRL) map.  Am I just not seeing it? If it's not there, can I add it to this instrument?

Thanks in advance,

--cj

Hugh Smith

Hi CJ, welcome to the forum.

Well, Sibelius won't allow you to add those sounds to the SnareLine (AutoRL) mapping (can't mix sounds from multiple patches). However, there are other methods to get cowbell sounds onto the SnareLine staff.

1) Use an Instrument Change to Cowbell. Limitation: would not be able to have simultaneous SnareLine/cowbell sounds and/or notation.
2) Use a second staff with just cowbell (for the playback), then write the cowbell notes into the SnareLine staff. Would probably need to uncheck the Play On Pass check boxes in the Inspector so they don't playback there. Can then hide this staff for printing.

There may be other tweaks, but those two come to mind immediately.

Hugh

Hugh Smith

bigjdrum

Hugh,

Thank you so much for your response!

I was considering adding SnareLine (Manual) as a separate instrument just for the cowbell, but thought there might be an easier way. Looks like I should have gone with my gut on this one!

Thanks again,

--cj

Hugh Smith

You're welcome.
Hugh Smith

Bill

I typically write using the Manual versions of instruments anyway.  Gives me all the sound possibilities and gives a more accurate playback, especially on roll passages.