Author
Topic: Bell/Xylophone transposition

mskellett

Not sure if this is a template issue or Finale 2014 issue.

When I input notes for bells and xylophone via my midi keyboard, they appear in the octave that I am playing and appear on the screen where I would like them to be.  When I playback audio, they are played 2 octaves higher (which doesn't exist)

Again, not sure if Finale 2014 or template issue.  Any ideas? 

TBoliske

From the sound of it, the problem could be either Finale or the template. Which template are you using? The ensemble template should have the transpositions set to none. That would be the first place to check. If you started with the default template and built your own, selecting those specific instruments would have the transpositions set for proper notation, meaning there would be a 2 octave transposition for the bells and 1 octave for the xylo.

In either case, check in Score Manager and verify the transposition settings.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mskellett

I was using the ensemble template from TWS, but since it doesn't have a bell or xylo line set up, when I added those, I didn't check for transposition settings. 

I did find the transposition line in score manager and adjusted it from there.  I then had to mass transpose everything down 1 or 2 octaves depending on instrument. 

Thanks!

TBoliske

Glad to hear things are working.

BTW, the reasoning behind no glock/xylo staff is that more and more front ensembles are scoring them as part of one of a vibe, marimba, or other percussion part rather than as a stand alone player.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths