Author
Topic: Full Marching Band Score using VDL_Template_7.0a_(Sib7)

bigjdrum

Hi everyone,

I have read through all of the README files that came with my Bundle and have searched through the forum and have not found this information anywhere.  I sincerely apologize if it has already been posted--I truly did see it anywhere.

I need to create a full marching band score using VDL_Template_7.0a_(Sib7).  As per the README, I have created a configuration for use with this template where the only active device is Kontakt 5.  For percussion only scores, this is working very well.

In order to add wind instruments to this score, do I need to create another configuration that uses both Kontact 5 AND ARIA (or Sibelius Sounds)?

Please forgive me if this was already covered elsewhere... I really did try to do my due diligence. If this has already been covered, could you kindly direct me to that information?

Much thanks,

--cj

Hugh Smith

Which bundle do you have?
Hugh Smith

bigjdrum

Hi Hugh,

On May 23, 2012 I purchased Sib_S7S-SE6-VDL_Bundle_7.0a.zip from TapSpace.com.  You and I had spoken at PASIC the previous November about the whole Sibelius 7 shift.  (I was literally so pumped to meet the mastermind behind the original VDL template.)

I hope this helps,

--cj

Hugh Smith

Hi CJ

Ah, yes, it's been a while, but I think I do remember that particular conversation. ;)

I think there is an image or two here somewhere on the forum that shows examples of Bundle Playback Configurations, but I'm not going to look for 'em. Instead, I put a new page up on the main site showing said examples: https://www.thewritescore.com/docs/sibelius-templates/playback-configurations/

"Do I need to create another configuration...?" - Not necessarily, though you may want to have multiple configurations for the various setups you have. Again, the page above should help.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

bigjdrum

Hugh,

Thank you so much for your response!

I have a few questions for you...

I have attached a screenshot of my setup screen to clarify what I'm asking.

As per the README file, I'm using Kontakt 5 (VST) and not (AU).  Does that matter?

Also, I don't see the sound set from your screenshot as an option for me when I go to the sound set sub-menu. Does that matter?

TBoliske

If you are on the Mac OS use Audio Units (AU). They are better suited for the Mac OS.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Hugh Smith

Yup, what Ted said. Mac users should always use AU whenever possible.

Quote from: bigjdrum on June 04, 2015, 07:50:02 AM
Also, I don't see the sound set from your screenshot as an option for me when I go to the sound set sub-menu. Does that matter?

When you double click the sound set name to get the drop down list, you don't see any of the S7S/SE6 sound sets? If that's the case, you haven't copy/pasted them into the user's Sounds folder. They go along next to and reside by the VDL sound set.

For the exact path, see Installing A Sound Set
Hugh Smith

bigjdrum

Hi Hugh,

Thank you for your patience and your quick reply.  I am taking copious notes through here so that I don't need to ask needless questions in the future!

To clarify, I have the Sibelius 7 SoundSets shown in the attached screenshot.  I just didn't have exactly what you had shown in your linked screenshot ("S7S-SE6 SoundSet 7.1a"). I wasn't sure if I needed that file exactly or if you were using a pseudonym to cover the range of what I might see in the drop down menu.

Also, Hugh and Ted: Thanks for the advice with (AU).  I honestly had no idea until now!

This is a great community and I hope that someday I can be a tutor instead of a tutee :-)

--cj

Hugh Smith

Hi CJ

The drop down list items in the image are Playback Configurations, not sound sets. I've attached an image showing more details.

To create a new configuration, just click the New button. To select a sound set, double click on the one you want to change to get the drop down list.
Hugh Smith

bigjdrum

Hugh,

Thanks for your response!

I apologize for the delay on my end--I had to travel out of town for work and got a little behind...

On your screen shot, the right hand side of the screen shows the different available sound sets to be used with the different configurations.  I just don't have that same list with SE7-SE6-VDL listed as a choice.

Does my question make sense?

--cj

Hugh Smith

What does your Sounds folder have in it? I attached a picture of mine.
Hugh Smith