Topic: Getting VDL sounds to playback using Sib7.1.3

sizzlecrash

Hi Hugh,

I am working with:

MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3
Sibelius 7.1.3 (not 7.5)
Virtual Drumline 2.5.5
Kontakt Player 5.5.0.409
Sibelius VDL Template 7.0a (The Write Score)

I once had VDL working perfectly fine into my computer with your help, but then my computer died and I needed a new logic board and it was completely reset. I had to reinstall Sibelius, Kontakt, VDL, and TWS. I followed all of the documentation like last time and everything appears to be set up correctly. However, none of the VDL soundsets playback when I press play. The trigger tests don't work; my MIDI keyboard does not playback; there is no sound when I press the trigger test button on the mixer in Sibelius. The playback configuration is the one I created and everything seems to be fine but there is no sound. I've attached screen shots that might help.

Any ideas on what I can do? The Sib 7 sounds still work perfectly fine.

Thank you,

Tom

Hugh Smith

Hi Tom

Sound set looks good / in the right place. On Mac, always use the AU version of plugins (when available) instead of the VST version.

Does VDL playback when Kontakt Player is in stand alone mode?
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Thanks Hugh.

I've attached more images after checking those spots. Here is what I see now.

-Tom

Hugh Smith

Now we're getting somewhere - the images really help a lot, thanks.

1) Using AU plugin: check

2) Samples Missing: I would normally suggest to remove the library from Kontakt Player and add it back in, but the other picture says something else may be wrong...

3) The folder structure you've shown looks like just the update files only, not the regular full install of VDL. I recommend contacting Tapspace (VDL Support, page also has link to submit a ticket if needed) to get that sorted out. Once you can load patches into and play them in Kontakt Player, you should be good to go with the Template.

Let me know how it goes.
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

I'll contact TapSpace but maybe Kontakt is the place to contact because when I first added the library this screen popped up. I just removed it and added it again and the same thing happened.

Any ideas while I wait for them?

Thanks,

Tom

Hugh Smith

I don't think it's Kontakt (unless you are in fact pointing it to the wrong VDL folder). If Kontakt is not finding files, the problem most likely lies in the library install somewhere.

I've attached an image of what my VDL directory structure looks like. The key is the root folder where the .nkc and .nkx files are.
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Hi Hugh,

I thought I'd let you know that situation somehow resolved itself when I unwittingly restarted my computer. When I loaded Sibelius all the sounds were working perfectly.

Crisis averted! Thanks for your help.

Best,

Tom

Hugh Smith

Excellent!

I'm still curious as to what the problem was, but at least it's working now.
Hugh Smith