Author
Topic: VDL Cymbal Key Maps do not correspond.

shanekrutherford

Mac OSX 10.10.3
Sibelius 7.5.1
VDL 2.5.5
Kontakt 5.4.3
Sibelius VDL Template 7.0a
Korg nanoKEY2 MIDI

Alright, I'll preface by saying that I looked at the thread from a couple years ago (https://forum.thewritescore.com/index.php?topic=489.0) and I seem to be having the same issue as this person did. Unfortunately, they stopped responding and the problem was not resolved, so alas, here I am.

I'm having problems any time I'm putting cymbals into my scores (either be it a cymbal part from the get go or a change, say from marimba to cymbal, in the middle of a part). The key maps that are laid out in the VDL 2.5 user guide AND the VDL225Keymaps PDF from the Write Score both have one thing listed, but when I go to press the corresponding keys on my MIDI keyboard, I either get a different sample or nothing at all. When I load up the instrument in Kontakt, the correct key map is displayed on the keyboard and the correct files play. It is only different when trying to input into a score. I've even tried using the on screen keyboard in Sibelius but it gives me the same results as using my MIDI keyboard.

In the past I have just said "oh well" and used trial and error to figure out what I want. But now digging deeper, I've discovered that I do not have access to rolls with a muted release (again, the samples are there in Kontakt, but it is not corresponding to the correct key press).

I can record a screen capture later in the day or tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything else that can be of help.

Hugh Smith

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

And yes, go ahead and make a screen recording.
Hugh Smith

shanekrutherford

Here is the playback config.

shanekrutherford

Here is a short video showing what is happening. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need anything else. I appreciate the help!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0QPNQGPB8P7UnAzQ1Z3QW9IT28/view

Hugh Smith

1) Since you're on a Mac, it is recommended that the AU version of the Kontakt Player plugin is used. I don't see it as an option in your Playback Configuration, so you'll need to add it to the Avid/VST folder.

2) Make sure you're using the Input Maps from the Maps file (VDL_Maps_7.0a.pdf) included in the package. For the most part you could use the Tapspace provided keymaps, but most (if not all) of the cymbals instrument mapping does not line up. This is done intentionally due to how Sibelius likes to do things for unpitched percussion, and how some of the cymbal patches in VDL have the various cymbal sizes set to different mod wheel zones. Oh, and to not have the sounds spread out over several octaves.

I attached an image of the map you should be using for what you have in the video. Again, in VDL_Maps_7.0a.pdf.

You may also want to start with a fresh copy of the Template as Sibelius probably added some unwanted notes to the SusCym instrument mapping - unless you just go in and make sure those bits are cleaned up.

Oh, and thanks for the video, that helped a ton. ;)
Hugh Smith

shanekrutherford

Awesome. Thanks so much! I've now come across a separate issue that maybe I'm just being really dumb (been one of those weeks). I bought/installed Sib/VDL/Template all back in 2014 and at the time of downloading/installing the template, I seem to have only downloaded the template itself and not any of support documents (so no VDL_Maps_7.0a.pdf or any of the trigger test or anything). I found the VDL225Keymaps pdf under the "Free Downloads" section, so I guess that is where I got confused. Here is the issue I'm having though. I found my confirmation email for my purchase and logged into my account on thewritescore webpage, but whenever I click download, it only brings me to the page to purchase the various templates that you have. I even tried clicking on the VDL template for Sib, but again, it doesn't let me download anything. Am I missing something here? Thanks again for all your help and at least getting the correct keymap for the Cymbals!

Hugh Smith

Excellent!

Quote from: shanekrutherford on May 11, 2017, 02:17:05 PM
... I seem to have only downloaded the template itself and not any of support documents (so no VDL_Maps_7.0a.pdf or any of the trigger test or anything).

It all came in one .zip file, so if you don't have it anymore you must have accidentally deleted it.

Be sure you're logged in to the site, then try using a different browser to download the package. If that's a no go, please fill out the Contact form (select Billing) on the main site and someone will get with you.
Hugh Smith

shanekrutherford

Got it all taken care of now! Just needed to switch to a different browser. Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated. Now to finish writing next years show!

Hugh Smith

Awesome!

Yeah, for some reason people sometimes have problems when they use Safari.
Hugh Smith

shanekrutherford

I actually use Chrome, but was able to get it to download with Safari. Odd. Thanks again!

Hugh Smith

Haha, well, go figure. :)

You're welcome
Hugh Smith