Author
Topic: Getting key signature into percussion clef

mikep

Simple questions probably with a simple answer. I'm entering a few measures of chime notes in an aux part that has a percussion clef. I'd like to get the key signature to display in those measures. I changed the clef for those measures, put the chimes sound on layer 3 and assigned no map to that layer. I tried measure attributes and clicked always display the key signature but no luck.

TBoliske

The best solution is to use the Instrument Change Utility. This will handle the clef and key signatures as well as playback. You will need to reassign the playback device and load the VDL chimes.

Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mikep

Never knew that was there. Not sure what you mean about how to re-assign the playback device for that measure only. I did notice that it seemed to put in the stock chimes sound for me.

Here's a related question - the way I have been doing it is to put the different sounds in different layers. I assign the corresponding map to those layers, yet things don't seem to display correctly. In the attachment, Rack A is on layer 1 and Concert Band Combo on layer 2. Yet it seems to only be using one of those maps for all of the notes, regardless of layer. If I click on the notation style, it say I'm using the concert band combo map, regardless of the layer selected.

TBoliske

It's giving you the stock Chimes sound because when the Change Instrument Utility is applied and you choose Chimes from the list, that list is Finale instruments not VDL. Once the change is set up, go to Devices and select Kontakt 5, load the VDL Chimes and set the Bank and Channel assignments to match the other VDL instruments.

You can not use layers for multiple non-pitched percussion instruments because the Layout Map is applied to the entire staff and can not be changed regardless of which layer you wish to use. Change Instrument makes it possible to change both the midi map and the layout map.

Much of this is explained in the ReadMe files that came with the template package.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths