Author
Topic: Cymbal Line Notation

sklermbot

Hey guys,
I teach a college line with a huge cymbal line, playing in 4 part splits all the time. (all on the same size cymbals as well)  I would like to make it so i have identical sounds available on all spaces of the staff, so I can utilize playback functions without a separate hidden playback line on all the tunes I write throughout the year. 

Is there a relatively simple way to do this?  Is this something I can pay someone to make for me? We have a very specific nomenclature at our line, but I'd be willing and happy to change that around if it meant easy playback sounds to match the templates.  As it stands, I have to just tell the cymbal kids to suck it up and deal without decent playback.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks!

Hugh Smith

Let me see if I can give you the quick and dirty on doing it yourself. Reference pages 18-19 of the Readme for additional notes.

0. Optional: Experiment in a test file.

1. Go to Home > Instruments > Edit Instruments > - VDL Template 7.0a > Drumline Battery. Pick a cymbal size (Cymbal Line 16in, Cymbal Line 18in, or Cymbal Line 20in) and select that instrument. Make a copy of it by clicking New Instrument, then Yes.

2. Change Name in dialogs to whatever you'd like - can do variations later. (Could append with "~big and honkin line", or whatever.) Click OK.

3. Add the new instrument to the Drumline Battery Family list by looking in Instruments not in ensemble and scrolling to the one you just made. Select it, click Add to Family.

4. With the new instrument now in the Family, select it, and click Edit Instrument. Now click Edit Staff Type.

5. You should now see two sets of sounds, the one on the space is for Solo, one on the line is Unison. If you don't need both, be sure each sound you want to remove is selected (highlighted blue), then click Delete.

6. For each one you want to duplicate, select it (highlighted blue), then click New. For me the new copy was placed one position up. Go find it and use the Up and Down buttons* to place it where you want. You'll need to add any applicable articulations to the new notes as that part is not copied over.

7. Repeat step 6 for each subsequent sound you want to use, times however many times you want to use it.  (Yes, it can get tedious.)

8. Place said new and edited instrument into score and hit Play so the patch gets loaded.

9. Insert notes into staff and see if what you did works.

Let me know how it goes.

* You may not need to assign the original Input using pitch value to each copy. Just a guess though, as I did not specifically test that when creating this write-up.

Hugh Smith

sklermbot

Hugh,
Ok, wow.  First of all seeing how this is done REALLY makes me appreciate all the work you've put in!  Also, I'll be able to get this done, but it will be a pretty big project for me. 

I tell everyone I know that uses VDL (and inevitably has issues implementing it) to come to the Write Score.  You do such great work and your tech support is second to none.  I will always and forever love the work you do.

When I finish this, I can send you what I've done along with a legend, if that is something that would be of interest to you. Might be awhile.  :D

Hugh Smith

You're very welcome!

Yes, I'll be curious to see what you end up with. And I won't be holding my breath. ;D
Hugh Smith

sklermbot

Hey Hugh!  I got this one done a few months back.  Trying to send it off to a coworker, and even back to you if you'd like it. 

Not sure how to export it from my template.

Thanks for all the help buddy!

sklermbot

Hey Hugh,
For whatever reason, when I started using my new machine, my cymbal line for IU won't trigger the vdl instrument.  All the instruments from in your template seemed to work, at least what i've used, but for whatever reason my cymbal line instrument isn't making any sounds, either on the instrument page or even in kontakt when i try to play the instrument. 
Using Kontakt 6 now on Catalina

Hugh Smith

Hi Ben

It worked previously, correct? As in on the old machine?

Send me the .sib file(s) and I'll take a look. And send a screen shot of the Playback Configuration you're using.

Hugh Smith