Author
Topic: Sibelius 8 and templates

mmaize

Hello,

I have a couple of questions.

I purchased a new computer and have The Write Score templates installed on my other computer with Sibelius. Am I able to download those templates on this computer?

I am looking to upgrade to Sibelius 8 on my new computer, and I wanted to double check that this package will work for me :

https://www.thewritescore.com/product/sibelius-s7s-vdl-bundle/

I just want to make sure I understand this package correctly- it makes Sibelius Sounds and VDL 2.5.5 work with the template, correct?

Also, if I purchase Sibelius Ultimate, is there a TWS template for that?

Thanks for the help.

Hugh Smith

Hi Mike

The Template license allows you to use the Template on whatever computers you have. Yes, you can download and use them on the new computer.

Yes, the S7S-VDL Bundle works in Sibelius 8.

Don't let the "Ultimate" label confuse you, it and the "Basic" are both Sibelius 8. The difference is Basic is a stripped down version of the FULL program.

Template-wise, sounds to me like you already have what you need.
Hugh Smith

mmaize

Thank you so much for the helpful information! Attached is a screenshot of the products I have purchased from TWS. Which one should I download in order to work with Sibelius Ultimate? Thanks for the help.

Hugh Smith

You need to download all of them. Each one has something you need out of it.

Be sure to (re)read all documentation, especially Sib_Bundle_Addendum.pdf.

If you still have questions after that, let me know.
Hugh Smith

mmaize

Thanks for the help. Now I can not find the sound set in the drop down menu in the Kontakt player in player configuration.

I made sure to make the sounds folder and put the correct .xml file in it. I have Kontakt 6. I have searched here and on the internet and can not find an answer if Kontakt 6 works with Sibelius Ultimate. Do I have to download Kontakt 5? If so, I can't find the site to download it anywhere.

I have attached two pictures where you can see what I see in Sibelius and also another picture that shows Kontakt I 6 and VDL successfully installed in Native Access

mmaize

Hello,

I just wanted to follow up on this to see if anyone could help me out. Thanks.

-Michael

Hugh Smith

Kontakt 6 Player is not compatible with Sibelius 8.x yet. Stick with Kontakt Player 5 until then.

If you need to download KP5, I think Tapspace might be able to help (not sure though).
Hugh Smith

mmaize

Hey Hugh,

Thanks for the info. I contacted them and they helped me find the place to download Kontakt 5! Now, when I open the TWS Sibelius template, I choose Kontakt 5 AU and select the vdl soundset for the soundset. Next, I added a marimba and there is no sound. I know I am missing a step here. It's been a while since I've done all of this so I'm forgetting how to do all of this. Is there a step to load VDL into Kontakt? I checked the VDL read me but couldn't find that info. Could you point me in the right direction? Thank you for the help!

Hugh Smith

Hi Mike

Good, you found a copy of KP5.

Sibelius will auto-load patches into Kontakt Player for you once it's all setup properly. Can you manually load VDL patches into Kontakt Player when it's in stand alone mode?

Please attach another screenshot of your updated Playback Configuration.
Hugh Smith

mmaize

Hi Hugh,

Sorry for hiatus. I got caught up on some other things and my computer was in the shop the past month.

I reviewed the VDL 2.5 User Guide and found the section about the Kontak player. I followed the directions and added Virtual Drumline 2.5 into Kontakt 5. However, I see on the directions that it says I need to make a copy- I was able to find "Virtual Drumline 2.5" on my computer but I am not sure I made a copy?

I attached two screen shots. The one with Kontakt 5 in standalone is the message I see when I attempt to add the library. It says it failed. However, when I click OK, I see that the VDL library was still added.

The second screen shot is in Sibelius. I added the VST Kontakt player, and it now works- the VDL sounds are playing properly! Looks like I had the AU Kontakt player in there instead. So, I guess it works now, unless you see something on my screenshots that I need to fix?

Also, when I delete the VDL library in Kontakt 5 in stand alone mode, the sounds still work in Sibelius when I have Kontakt 5 VST into playback devices in Sibelius. Is this normal?

Thank you for the help.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: mmaize on January 30, 2019, 06:13:48 PM
I attached two screen shots. The one with Kontakt 5 in standalone is the message I see when I attempt to add the library. It says it failed. However, when I click OK, I see that the VDL library was still added.

Is this comment for the first image? Nothing from the TWS Template package should be loaded directly into Kontakt. I still don't see VDL loaded into Kontakt, should see it in the left sidebar.

The second screen shot is in Sibelius. I added the VST Kontakt player, and it now works- the VDL sounds are playing properly! Looks like I had the AU Kontakt player in there instead. So, I guess it works now, unless you see something on my screenshots that I need to fix?

Since you're on a Mac, the AU version is the one to use (all Mac users I've ever seen use AU). Either way, I would not use both AU and VST at the same time.

Also, when I delete the VDL library in Kontakt 5 in stand alone mode, the sounds still work in Sibelius when I have Kontakt 5 VST into playback devices in Sibelius. Is this normal?

Yeah, something with that statement doesn't sound right. If VDL is not loaded into Kontakt, then Sibelius is triggering sounds from somewhere else.

So, do you have VDL/Kontakt working as you think it should be? You should:

1) be able to see VDL in Kontakt as a loaded library.
2) be able to load VDL patches into Kontakt directly in Kontakt (stand alone mode).

You may need to get back with Tapspace to help get VDL installed correctly, and/or double check what is installed is good to go.
Hugh Smith

mmaize

Hi Hugh!

Thanks for your help on all of this. Well, it's been a while and everything is working. I even started to use Logic with Kontakt, and I get that same message I was getting earlier. I attached an image of that message. But, when I click "OK," the library still loads, and it works in Logic!

So, I am not sure if this is a bug with Kontakt or something else? I am currently using macOS Catalina 10.15.3.

To answer your two questions- yes I am able to see VDL as a loaded library in Kontakt in any capacity I use it in- Sibelius, Logic, etc. I see the library after I click "OK" after the dialogue appears in the image I attached in this post. So, looks like it's all good somehow!

Hugh Smith

Glad to hear it's working.
Hugh Smith